Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
To date, we've incubated and invested in multiple companies focused on solving urban problems.
We now seek to create an offsite construction company delivering high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working. The company's end-to-end approach will combine craft design and advanced manufacturing to produce customizable buildings with speed and certainty. It will be based in the Pacific Northwest. We have a unique opportunity to transform the way our urban environment is built, and build a successful venture in doing so. This company’s efforts will include:
- Designing, building, and operating a world-class advanced manufacturing facility and supply chain to produce panelized mass timber building components (floor cassettes, structural members, facade panels, and walls).
- Working with developers and architects to create high performance, market ready buildings that are optimized for production in our factory.
- Using advanced model-based digital manufacturing techniques to simulate and validate the production system design and performance, enabling us to deliver greater and earlier certainty project delivery price and schedule for our customers.
- Shipping optimally flat-packed, ready-to-assemble building parts to a customer’s development site, once the site is prepared for vertical construction.
- Investing in and scaling multiple business lines beyond the first factory, including digital design products, new material technologies, and digital factory solutions.
What is the role?
The Associate Director of Industrial Engineering is a dynamic and exciting role that will be foundational to establishing and operating our production system. Collaboration and communication will be key, as you will work across the Factory organization including the engineering, product, and business teams. As part of the Production team, you will be responsible for the creation of production system models used to drive complex decision making, forecast and mitigate risk, optimize operations, and support project delivery.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Production System Modeling and Simulation: Own, maintain, and improve throughput models, including all assumptions and scenarios; oversee the development of customized factory simulation software and models; build Discrete Event and other computational models of the factory, supply chain, and construction; create and standardize input library for future planning and validation activities; adapt models for multiple purposes across the organization including financial planning, capacity planning, and process improvement.
- Fabrication Outcome Liaison: Interface with multiple internal teams to translate modeled outputs into project pricing and scheduling, corporate financial modelling and capital allocations, and supply chain planning. Interface with external equipment and materials suppliers, timber fabrication advisers, construction / logistics partners to validate and align on line specifications and assumptions.
- Trade Studies: Build and own Trade Study models to support initial and ongoing investment decisions in production equipment and capacity.
- Production Scheduling & Logistics: Develop, model, and optimize factory scheduling strategy and scenarios at project and plant level; develop supply chain / inventory models and strategy.
- Performance and Risk Management: Set throughput (cycle time, efficiency, etc.) and resource targets; develop and maintain work standards for production and factory logistics; collaborate with internal teams to define, develop, and implement systems and tools to track manufacturing and product metrics; collaborate on human capital management decisions; advise plant manager and company leadership on production schedules, implications, and risks.
- Digital Modeling: Support the selection and development of digital tools and methods to model and simulate production.
As a critical member of our startup team, you will be part of shaping our production system design, build out, expansion, and the overall company trajectory. This role has substantial opportunity for career growth, and is likely a great fit for someone with five to seven years of diverse industrial and operations engineering experience.
What You Will Accomplish
Over the next year, we will go from production system concept to strategy to execution, and will start production on our first building projects. For this role, the milestones are as follows:
- After 3 months you will be up to speed on all facets of the production system including processes, cycle and takt time projections, facility plans, existing throughput models, and the kit of parts assemblies. You will have learned the details of our manufacturing processes through hands-on experience. You will understand how production scenarios feed into other teams’ work companywide and how your own execution plan maps to factory launch critical path.
- After 6 months you will be comfortable performing production scenario planning, trade studies, scheduling, and throughput modeling. You will also have started to create advanced models and methods to begin model based optimization of the production system design. You will represent production requirements and considerations in live project feasibility and pipeline planning exercises.
- After 12 months you will have implemented a mature, cross functional approach to production system, supply chain, and performance modeling, and you will ensure models are used for data driven decision making. You will have also implemented operational and performance metrics across operations, driving efficiencies into production.
What We Expect
- You have a deep passion for the modeling, simulation, measurement, and analysis of complex manufacturing systems, including factories and supply chains.
- You understand factory physics fundamentals, and are as comfortable presenting technical information to a business audience as you are working on the shop floor collecting data.
- You have at least a bachelor's degree in Industrial engineering, operations research, computer science or other relevant field; a technical masters degree and/or an MBA is a plus.
- You have at least four years of applicable technical work experience in a manufacturing or operations facing role.
- You have experience with production system modeling techniques and software tools, including discrete event simulation (ProModel, FlexSim, Simio, etc). Additionally, you have experience with data analytics, visualization, and programming languages (Python, Java, etc).
- You want to be part of a tight knit group of dynamic professionals aiming to bring complex concepts to life.
- You are passionate about helping to change the architecture, engineering and construction industry in a fundamental way.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.