Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
As a software engineering manager, you will use your significant technology expertise to lead teams in solving problems faced by cities worldwide.
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Delve team, helping build a product that solves complex problems in urban design, masterplanning, and real estate development. Our team is committed to radically improving the quality of urban life through better digital design tools — and we’re bridging the urbanist-technologist divide by combining expertise in machine learning, optimization, and cloud computation, with a nuanced understanding of why and how the design of a city’s physical form matters.
You will lead a team that focuses on part of the Delve technology stack. You have a strong vision on the technical direction the team is taking and work closely with product and design to integrate this vision with the overall direction of the product. You will oversee the various technical processes from the yearly planning, to the quarterly roadmapping to the bi-weekly sprints.
For more information on Delve, please see this video.
Note: We are currently working remotely, and we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York office.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will have begun to build relationships with the members of your team and to understand the dynamics of the organization. You will have built an understanding of Sidewalk Labs’ current initiatives and technology infrastructure (Python and Typescript running on the Google Cloud Platform/Kubernetes), coding style and standards. In the process you’ve gotten your hands dirty and implemented some small features.
- By the end of your third month, you will have led the team through the addition of one new system capability and facilitated the development of one new functional feature.
- You will have built deep relationships with your team — and developed an understanding of how best to grow it. You are actively involved in the hiring process.
- From there your role will continue to evolve — we’re still a small team. The types of problems we are trying to solve could include:
- How can we clearly build complex and dynamic 3D visuals of urban design that dramatically improve the work of experts and the understanding of non-expert users?
- How can we build a participatory planning tool that responds to community needs?
- Can we study and understand centuries of what’s made a city or neighborhood successful through machine learning techniques on open datasets?
What we expect:
- Act as a technologist.
- This is a position for an experienced software engineering manager, therefore we are looking for someone with 3+ years of experience as a manager.
- Experience with a modern Frontend framework (we use React with TypeScript) OR experience with Python and preferably one systems programming language (C++ or Go). Experience with Google Cloud Platform and/or Kubernetes/Nomad a plus.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you help your team find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Be an Exceptional leader.
- You have led teams to significant impact, and guided complex projects with many internal and external stakeholders. Your teams and reports hold you in highest regard since you drive teams to deliver their best work, and care about the individuals.
- You are a strong, organized process leader, and an exceptional communicator.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other project domains (product, software, design and business development) in a way that aligns goals and expectations across the business unit.
- About cities, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
- You are committed to creating more equitable and inclusive outcomes both in the workplace and in the work you do.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.