Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Mesa team, helping to scale a product for commercial buildings that saves energy and improves tenant comfort. Mesa is on a mission to make buildings dramatically more sustainable with an easy-install kit and software suite that takes into account occupancy and trends to automate energy savings for a building owner.
As a member of Sidewalk’s design and product team, you will support and champion user-centered design with a focus on translating deep empathy for Mesa’s users and customers into beautiful, functional designs. You will work across all aspects of the product design cycle, including user research, wireframing/prototyping, visual design, service design, and marketing. In particular, Mesa is unique in that it is a product that includes components that span hardware, software (desktop and mobile), and service design, including printed materials and packaging.
You will work closely with, and report directly to, the Director of Design to scale Mesa by:
- Creating a great user experience for building owners with their easy-install hardware kit and desktop/mobile app that helps them understand how Mesa is saving energy
- Delighting building tenants with ways to give feedback on office comfort
- Partnering deeply with Engineering and Product to align on the best path for scaling the business
- Working with Sales and Marketing to iterate and experiment with how we convey our value to building owners and tenants
What you have to achieve:
- In the first month, you have onboarded with the team, become familiar with the product, and completed a starter project that improves either tenant or building owner experience (could be related to install, remotely accessing devices, understanding Mesa actions and energy savings, delivering comfort feedback, or more). You’ve absorbed our product roadmap and started to think through how design can best deliver on key results based on those goals.
- By month three, you’ve taken results from multiple rounds of research into the install and tenant experience into improving tools for both types of Mesa users. As our active customer base grows, you’ve worked with our Marketing and Comms teams to create the assets that best tell Mesa’s story to the world.
- Six months in, you’ve helped to operationalize a scalable process for delivering the installation experience considering service design principles. This process considers supply chain constraints, the sustainability and design of the physical packaging, and streamlining production of installation guidance. You’ve onboarded other designers (including contractors who specialize in these different disciplines) to help orchestrate the overall Mesa experience.
What we expect:
- Obsessed with user needs
- You have 5+ years of experience in product organizations, in a UX, Product Design, or Interaction Design role. You have worked on an agile team rooted in the user-centered design process.
- You have a degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or other UX-equivalent experience.
- Your design process is deeply rooted in our users and you can effectively advocate for them across the organization, as well as our product management and engineering counterparts.
- Ability to execute with design excellence
- You have a strong base in design process and execution, including a specialty in either visual design, interaction design, and/or software development. Please share your portfolio with us.
- You can judge and execute at the appropriate level of fidelity, from paper sketches to refined mocks for production.
- You know your tools (e.g. Figma, Framer or equivalent, Adobe CS, HTML/CSS) and be ready to adopt new ones.
- You have worked across physical and digital products–for example experience with digital marketing, packaging, hardware, and print a plus.
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to gain traction and begin executing.
- Be creative: you use a diverse set of tools (storyboards, wireframes, visuals, other media etc.) to communicate your ideas effectively.
- You take initiative and are adept with changing priorities and quick turnarounds to launch products for customers.
- You thrive on thinking and acting like an owner, and are excited by startup environments.
- Solve problems, together
- You have experience and comfort presenting your ideas and setting up effective ways to critique and improve our work.
- You embrace the intellectual challenge of constantly reacting to and synthesizing new ideas related to the future of urban experience and technology.
- You ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Passionate about cities
- You care deeply about cities and improving the lives of people in them.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into design.
- You are committed to creating more equitable and inclusive outcomes both in the workplace and in the work you do.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.