Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company working to make cities more sustainable and affordable for all. We create products, invest in new companies, and help plan innovative places around the world. Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on projects such as factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for sustainable and affordable growth, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
You will be a key leader within Sidewalk’s Delve team, helping scale a product that solves complex problems in urban design, masterplanning, and real estate development. The Delve team is committed to radically improving the quality of urban life through better digital design tools — and we’re bridging the urbanist-technologist divide by combining expertise in machine learning, optimization, and cloud computation with a nuanced understanding of neighborhood development.
It’s your job to build and lead Delve sales.
In our current engagement model, Delve customers get access to the Delve tool and dedicated guidance from a Sidewalk Labs computational designer who becomes an extended member of the customer’s team, becoming an expert with the project site objectives and constraints. Radically transforming the traditional design process of considering only a handful of designs, Delve then generates thousands of design options, scoring them across multiple factors (e.g. desired program mix, daylight access, % green space, walkability) and tying each option back to a financial analysis. This means that customers benefit from a far more comprehensive and holistic evaluation and end up with a better-performing design, validated by machine learning.
Our initial customers are real estate developers, and you can speak their language. You understand the ins and outs of their day-to-day work, the deadlines they care about, and the stakeholders they need to manage. You can also anticipate their concerns, and more importantly, their enthusiasm. You know what makes the master planning process unique, and you can understand - and will be able to effectively communicate - what makes Delve so compelling.
For more on Delve, see our intro video.
Note: We are currently working remotely, and we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return, in 2021. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York office.
What will you achieve?
Within the first three months, you will:
- Own end-to-end sales, from articulating a sales strategy to building and valuing a pipeline to coordinating processes to closing and signing deals.
- Understand Delve inside-out and be able to explain it in a compelling way to every customer and stakeholder type.
- Channel the customer voice to the product team.
Within the first six months, you will:
- Have built out a roadmap and structure for a sales team and gotten senior-level sign-off.
- Have signed your first paid engagements with Delve customers and established a strong pipeline of customer prospects with projected revenues and timelines.
- Have articulated an aspirational but realistic view of the resources that will be required to scale Delve to a billion-dollar business.
What we expect:
- Know your sales.
- Selling runs through your veins. You approach a sales challenge with integrity, creativity, and competitiveness.
- You have run or built a sales function before.
- You know real estate, and how to sell to developers.
- Solve problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, understanding a potential client’s needs and how the Delve product can help.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems and delivering the highest value to our customers.
- Have flexibility to work on the team’s most pressing problems.
- About cities, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
- You are committed to creating more equitable and inclusive outcomes both in the workplace and in the work you do.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.