Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company working to make cities more sustainable and affordable for all. We create products, invest in new companies, and help plan innovative places around the world. Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on projects such as factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for sustainable and affordable growth, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
We are looking for a Senior Associate, People Operations to join our team, reporting to our Associate Director, People Operations. You will join a scrappy People Ops team of three at a pivotal time. While most of the foundations of People Operations are in place (performance reviews, compensation, benefits, etc), you will be part of scaling our strategic People Operations function during a time of growth. In particular, we will look to you to provide critical support in implementing and progressing our equity, inclusion, and diversity (EID) in the workplace strategy and our learning & development strategy.
Over the past two years, we have created an ambitious 5-year EID ambition and launched a manager training program called the Manager Greenfield Project (MGP). We have also invested in one-off Learning & Development (L&D) opportunities to upskill our employees with external partnerships/vendors. We need your help in our next step, which is to create organization, structure and process around both our EID and L&D efforts, so that we can be proactive and strategic as we grow. Ultimately, we need your help to strengthen and scale our culture!
We are looking for an HR / PeopleOps / Talent individual with experience in project or program management who has passion in equity, inclusion or diversity and/or learning & development. This is a real growth opportunity to make an impact in a unique organization, dense with diverse talent.
Day-to-day, you will work closely with the People Operations team on:
- Creating process, structure and organization around our EID in the workplace strategy execution, inclusive of creating and driving detailed timelines; drafting, preparing, and organizing content for meetings, presentations and internal communications; taking notes and managing follow up action items; and managing internal stakeholders
- Creating process, structure and organization around Manager Greenfield Project (MGP), our manager training program, inclusive of creating and driving detailed timelines; drafting and preparing content for meetings, presentations and internal communications; taking notes and managing follow up actions; and managing internal stakeholders
- Developing a proposal on a broader learning & development approach that is within the fabric of our culture and organization
- Acting as a thought partner to the Associate Director, People Operations on how to improve any and all things related to our EID strategy and our L&D strategy
- Identifying external partners/vendors we should partner with on our EID and/or L&D strategy execution; managing relationships with current external partners/vendors
What are the deliverables?
Within your first 3 months you will:
- Build out a detailed project timeline for the year ahead for our EID in the workplace strategy, inclusive of metrics, deliverables and internal stakeholder management
- Build out a detailed project timeline for the year ahead for MGP, inclusive of metrics, deliverables and internal stakeholder management
- Create manager training content for one MGP session
Within your first 6 months you will:
- Support an EID in the workplace stakeholder group meeting
- Build a talent and manager dashboard (to track new managers and overall team / org health)
- Present content at an MGP session
- Have created a Managing @Sidewalk Labs toolkit / training for new managers
After 12 months you will:
- Have created a roadmap for manager training in 2022
- Built trust and credibility with the manager population
- Developed expertise both in EID and L&D best practices
- Shared an initial proposal on the next phase of our learning & development approach in 2022
- Lead the identification of an internal Learning Management System that can support our learning, development and career pathing framework in the future
What We Expect
To thrive on this journey with us, you will need to bring interest in People Operations processes, probably 3+ years of relevant experience, and have examples for the below:
- Organization and Attention to Detail: Above all else, you must be highly organized. Realistically, you have some practical full-time experience with driving processes, working with sensitive employee data, managing stakeholders, setting expectations and executing reliably.
- Passion around EID and/or L&D: You have relevant experience in at least one of these areas.
- Communication: You have experience creating all sorts of written and visual materials that are appropriate for company-wide consumption (slides, docs, emails) and understand how to align messaging to the appropriate audience.
- Collaboration: You are a team player and enjoy taking initiative to help others. You have worked with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Growth mindset: You are constantly scanning the organization for opportunities (quick wins and longer-term issues) to improve our People Operations processes, documentation and workflows as we continue to evolve our business.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.