Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company working to make cities more sustainable and affordable for all. We create products, invest in new companies, and help plan innovative places around the world. Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on projects such as factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for sustainable and affordable growth, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
This is a new Associate Director, Talent role, reporting to our Head of Talent Jan, and will focus on supporting our engineering and corporate hiring.
The mandate and positioning of our Talent team enables us to become true partners to our hiring teams. For us, this is an opportunity to advance a high-impact recruiting function while working on the frontline of innovation. To get a sense of the breadth of our work to date, see our team page for a list of current employees.
Looking ahead to 2021 and beyond, we are preparing for increased scale and stronger systems and programs. We believe work on our team is great for someone with the ability and desire to find top talent with an emphasis on a diversity of profiles and backgrounds.
Note: We are currently working remotely, and we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return, in 2021. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York office.
What you have to achieve:
We recruit full-cycle, so we expect you to do everything: strategize with your hiring managers, define jobs and write specs, source effectively (through postings, referrals, and tools such as Hiretual), run smooth, structured, and predictive assessment processes, negotiate and close offers, and help kick-off the onboarding process.
Sidewalk Labs has a robust Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (EID) strategy, and the Talent team has a significant role to play in its successful execution. We want someone who is eager to incorporate EID into the hiring process, brings new ideas and demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset.
- Within your 1st month, you will have begun learning the business and started building relationships with your hiring teams. You have figured out how to use our tools (Greenhouse, LinkedIn, Hiretual, Documents, Trainings), and contribute by owning 1-2 requisitions.
- By the end of your 3rd month, you have already made 3 or more fantastic hires and Hiring Managers and candidates loved the experience.
- After 6 months you are known as a key player on the team, a trusted partner to your key clients and credible in our domain. You have also contributed to our EID goals, and worked on pipeline projects.
What we expect:
You must be comfortable and experienced with full-cycle recruiting. You know how to run any recruiting process end-to-end. You also have a track record of finding and hiring top talent. To be successful, you’ll need at least 4 years of experience with a strong skill set and results to show for it.
How you demonstrate that …
- You easily tailor and execute an end-to-end recruiting process for widely different positions, using all necessary strategies and tools to get the job done.
- Relationships matter: you take ownership for the candidate experience and actively work with your stakeholders to ensure the SWL process is followed.
- You can build teams. You understand how recruiting ties into the business and ultimately how it influences its success.
- You are committed to equity, inclusion, and increasing representation in hiring.
- You’re constantly learning and have an eye towards continuous improvement.
Experience recruiting in-house is important in this role. Expertise in venture, tech, or innovation is a plus. Drive, problem-solving, and teamwork are basic expectations we’ll have for you.
We are very excited to hear from you.
We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.