Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company with a mission to radically improve urban life. We aim to create inclusive communities by bringing together an innovative planning approach, products and services designed to address urban challenges, and capital for real estate and advanced infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2015, we've grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
To date, we've incubated and invested in multiple companies focused on solving urban problems. Sidewalk Labs is currently standing up a new business unit, FactoryCo, a solutions business that will deliver mid- to high-rise buildings made out of mass timber and produced through a net new build of an advanced manufacturing facility. FactoryCo is focused on reducing both the cost and emissions associated with buildings.
- FactoryCo uses advanced digital manufacturing techniques to deliver a better product faster, at a price point that is competitive with traditional construction techniques.
- FactoryCo will produce prefabricated mass timber components (facades, floor cassettes, walls, and structure), which will be transported to site for assembly.
- FactoryCo is a solutions provider that will sell to developers as a supplier of turn-key buildings. On site, its parts will be integrated with other building components (e.g. elevators) that are procured from partner vendors.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for inclusive growth, our work is both highly exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
This foundational role connects future real estate developer clients with our building product and helps deliver them. In the beginning, you will be building our customer and buildings pipeline for FactoryCo in the Pacific Northwest (PNW). As an essential member of our ‘startup team,’ you have an opportunity to shape the way we engage with developers, and be on the forefront of bringing a new, better building typology into the market. Over time, as you and FactoryCo grow, this role will evolve with you and have new opportunities
Your primary focus will be identifying project opportunities with developers of buildings that can be efficiently produced from our Factory Kit-of-Parts (KoP), e.g. “mid-rise” buildings between 8 and 18 stories. You will often be the first contact with potential developer clients, educate them on our capabilities and own the engagement.
Reviewing these early opportunities will also build our knowledge of what type of buildings our factory is most competitive at executing, as well as which developers and jurisdictions are most important for the factory to focus on.
We will look to you to establish the coordination between all FactoryCo teams as we move projects from pitch to delivering the final building, e.g.:
- Architectural Feasibility with Product Design
- Economic Feasibility with Business Development (BD)
- Developer readiness to work with a factory system approach
- Jurisdiction hurdles to get project approved including but not limited to state of entitlements and mass timber code acceptance by local officials
- Site access for factory product assembly
“Winning” a project will necessitate shifting to a Project Management role entailing:
- Running the development of the overall project schedule with the Project Delivery team and establishing yourself as the Project point of contact for the developer
- Establish design and construction teams to make sure skilled resources are planned for and available
- Establish the Scope of Work for all entities involved in the project (developer, GC, design team(s), etc.)
- Establish periodic developer meetings and Factory project team meetings/ communications with (but not limited to) Director of Delivery, Product Design Team, Director Fabrication, Project Cost Estimator, Project Scheduler, Director of Procurement, Contract Administrator, Accounting/Finance and Legal
What You Will Accomplish
Success in this role means growing the project pipeline and project-related local staffing in order to establish our Factory as a “go to” option for developers in the region.
After 3 months, you will have:
- Understood the Factory KoP and how they apply to different building typologies
- Understood the manufacturing process of the KoP enough to describe them to potential developer clients
- Developed an outline of where to target our client development efforts with our BD team
- Aligned on goals for reaching the first 1 million square feet of building construction with our BD team
After 6 months you will have:
- Identified 10 opportunities for projects
- Taken 5 of the above through feasibility analysis
- Successfully obtained commitments for two development projects in the region
- Put us on track reach the first 1 million square feet goal
After 12 months you will:
- Be actively working with a team to deliver our first building
- Have identified 10 additional opportunities for projects
- Have taken 5 of the above through feasibility analysis
- Have successfully obtained commitments for two additional development projects in the region
- Have refined the plan for approaching developers to reach the first 1 million square feet goal, have outlined a plan to become the "go to" building solution for developers in the region, and be actively working to expand our market
What We Expect
We believe the following is essential:
- You are known as a competent leader in PNW real estate development
- Experience and connections in the regional development market that lends insights and credibility
- You have a nuanced understanding of the problem you’re solving, e.g. thorough experience in the real estate or construction business, or as a client or supplier to them.
- You have a deep practical understanding of working with developers and bringing projects through the feasibility process for projects of 30K sqft to 400K sqft
- Hands-on practical experience with getting buildings built and delivered
- You have experience in project managing residential and commercial projects up to 400K sqft.
- You have the organizational skills to create a budget, schedules and keep a multidisciplinary team working together to deliver building projects
- You have strong entitlement experience, not to run an entitlement process, but to understand regional approach to entitlement workflow
- You have completed buildings (including punch list items) and successfully commissioned and obtained certificates of occupancy so that they can be occupied in a timely manner
- You are software savvy on numerous design/construction software platforms (e.g. Revit, scheduling software, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Effective in building something new
- You have experience leading an initiative from concept to operation, working through all the stages and ambiguities along the way.
- You have strong communication skills to present projects for investment to multiple stakeholders.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business needs.