Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company with a mission to radically improve urban life. We aim to create inclusive communities by bringing together an innovative planning approach, products and services designed to address urban challenges, and capital for real estate and advanced infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2015, we've grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
To date, we've incubated and invested in multiple companies focused on solving urban problems. Sidewalk Labs is currently standing up a new business unit, FactoryCo, a solutions business that will deliver mid- to high-rise buildings made out of mass timber and produced through a net new build of an advanced manufacturing facility. FactoryCo is focused on reducing both the cost and emissions associated with buildings.
- FactoryCo uses advanced digital manufacturing techniques to deliver a better product faster, at a price point that is competitive with traditional construction techniques.
- FactoryCo will produce prefabricated mass timber components (facades, floor cassettes, walls, and structure), which will be transported to site for assembly.
- FactoryCo is a solutions provider that will sell to developers as a supplier of turn-key buildings. On site, its parts will be integrated with other building components (e.g elevators) that are procured from partner vendors.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for inclusive growth, our work is both highly exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
In this new role you will be an early member of our FactoryCo team. As part of the Production group, you will ultimately be creating the physical product by translating our architectural product design into manufacturing; you will make the promise of FactoryCo manifest as a kit of parts. Our work centers on designing, building, optimizing and driving the automated fabrication, its equipment and processes.
This role is a contributor role with a path to grow, likely a great fit for someone with 4-6 years of experience. It is an opportunity to translate our technical vision and plans into reality, implement a novel building production system centered on modern production technologies and practices, all in an industry that has seen little innovation at all. While this role is an individual contributor today, we expect that after successfully laying the groundwork, you will over time grow a small team.
The day-to-day work will be focused on taking the different components of our “kit of parts” and making them ‘factory-ready’. This will require a high level degree of strategic coordination and cohesiveness with our various groups.
To specify, you will initially be interfacing with:
- design teams to link design to manufacturing.
- suppliers to create an executable strategy for logistics.
- machine suppliers to create an executable strategy for manufacturing equipment.
- on-site construction to create an executable strategy for storage and on-site erection.
- consultant teams to create an executable strategy for various technologies such as DE power, Shikkui plaster, radiant heating, modular MEP, etc
- the factory building design to lay out work spaces and equipment associated with manufacturing.
What You Will Achieve
Over the next year, we will go from concept to strategy to execution. For this role, the milestones are as follows:
- After 3 months you will have got up to speed on all facets of the kit of parts assemblies.
- After 6 months you will be implementing line orders for factory production and the layout of the factory.
- After 12 months kit of parts components will be designed into an active building project.
What We Expect
Given that this work is anchored in translating architectural products and designs into something we can produce in a factory at scale, being rooted in architecture or production engineering is essential. As we are hiring for two roles; Fabrication Architect and Manufacturing Engineer, you very likely will have formal education and training in either architecture or mechanical/manufacturing engineering. We see the two backgrounds of skill sets working side-by-side. Direct experience with converting designs into manufacturing, or taking engineered products from concept to fabrication to use is highly valuable.
Other attributes are:
- A deep passion for the process of engineering, design and fabrication of physical objects.
- A desire to be part of and help create a tight knit team of dynamic professionals to bring complex concepts to life.
- A desire to change the architecture, engineering and construction industry in a fundamental way.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business needs.