Who are we?
Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
Sidewalk’s Affordable Electrification (AE) Sustainability team works at the technical heart of Sidewalk’s mission, developing tangible solutions to minimize the first and operating cost of low carbon neighborhoods in order to make them economically accessible to all communities.
The team marries real estate development, buildings systems and infrastructure-financing expertise with technology to vision, pilot, and commercialize product and business solutions for real estate developers, utilities and managed communities.
The team is currently in the early stages of commercializing a set of tools and design strategies centered on reducing the cost of electrification on communities. The team is piloting the tools, securing early customers and building the foundations of a business intended to exceed 250 million dollars of revenue per year. This is expected to be the first in a series of businesses that the group will spawn over the next ten years.
You will be working to build and integrate our advanced, next generation energy management products for residential electricity customers in large mixed-use buildings as well as in single family homes. Our software products are hardware agnostic and part of this job will be to identify good hardware partners.
You will be a member of Sidewalk’s Affordable Electrification team supporting the development, testing and deployment of software for the management of IoT devices; identification of IoT devices that are compatible with AE; and the strategic design of an API platform to host AE products and make them available to a wide range of real estate developers and utilities.
Your work will include:
- Reviewing architecture of multi-vendor systems to ensure efficient interoperability and future reuse potential;
- Perform code reviews for clarity, efficiency, logical correctness, portability, and future reuse opportunities;
- Developing new features for our existing products;
- Testing code locally; and
- Setting up IoT devices locally for testing purposes.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month you will dive into the work done to date on the AE products and join the team managing an ongoing pilot testing the AE products and reviewing their effectiveness.
- By the end of month three you will have begun to identify code improvements.
- By the end of month six you will be making code improvements, building an inventory of compatible IoT devices, and attending business meetings to identify product integration challenges.
What we expect:
- Obsessed with user needs.
- Excellent communicator who can advocate for our users both within the product and engineering teams and across the organization.
- Know your software engineering.
- Have a strong software background that includes experience in Python, REST APIs, AWS Lambda and S3.
- Have experience with energy management software
- Deep understanding of the internet of things and its role in energy management
- Have experience with, and broad knowledge of, IoT devices in the energy space.
- Knowledgeable about IoT hardware and software lifecycles.
- Solve problems, together
- Have experience and comfort presenting your ideas and setting up effective ways to critique and improve our work.
- Embrace the intellectual challenge of constantly reacting to and synthesizing new ideas related to the future of urban experience and technology.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with end users, urbanists and other non-technologists as well as technologists.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Passionate about cities
- You care deeply about cities and improving the lives of people in them.
- Bias towards action
- Strong ability to review and write production code quickly.
- Laser focused on privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Comfortable with at least the range of languages identified above and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem.
- Persistent and creative in overcoming challenges and roadblocks; you find a path through when others might just rest and complain
- About sustainability, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
Because of the speed at which we're traveling, candidates need to be able to hit the ground running from day one. Therefore, 4+ years of industry experience are a must.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.