Who are we?
Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for sustainable and affordable growth, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
To significantly improve sustainability in cities, Sidewalk Labs is developing new technology that will drastically reduce greenhouse gas emissions compared to the status quo, enable smarter management of resources, and reduce the cost of future upgrades and maintenance.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team in our New York City office. Your first project will be building software that aids in reducing energy use in buildings and cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
It’s a bonus (but not a requirement) if you are familiar with building systems and IoT sensors, their data, and analysis of it (e.g., HVAC, occupancy, temperature, lighting, etc.).
What is required is passion for sustainability to reduce the world’s emissions, affordably.
What you have you achieve:
- Within your first month, you should have
- Become familiar with the scope of current sustainability initiatives and goals.
- Built a deep understanding of the team's current initiatives and technology infrastructure (Python and Typescript running on the Google Cloud Platform), coding style and standards, and have contributed code to the repository.
- Added at least one feature to our energy-saving programs.
- By the end of month 3, you should have:
- Developed methods to integrate with home and office devices to control and monitor for energy optimizations.
- Added or improved features of our dashboards for monitoring and visualizing real time building energy data.
- From there your role will continue to develop and change over time. We are a small team working on an early stage product. Future projects may include:
- Working with product managers and designers to create front-end interfaces to guide users through sensor installation and inform them about their energy savings.
- Continuing to develop, test, and evaluate new control algorithms to improve buildings' energy efficiency.
- Upgrading prototype implementations to support scaling for future large-scale deployments.
- Developed a multi-channel communication hub with a backend and frontend for end users to communicate actions and collect feedback.
What we expect:
- Know your software engineering.
- Have a strong CS background in order to choose the right algorithms, systems approaches and patterns to solve problems, without reinventing the wheel.
- Candidates need to be able to hit the ground running. Therefore, for this role we are looking for 8+ years of industry experience.
- Experience building and owning full-stack applications end-to-end, previous experience working on Google Cloud Platform and/or Kubernetes is a plus.
- Act as a technologist.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Strong ability to write production code quickly.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Be comfortable with a range of languages and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem. You are excited to learn something new when the need arises.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Solve problems, together.
- Committed to create future Senior Engineers through project leadership, mentorship, and advocacy.
- Motivated by hurdles and ways to overcome them.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with technologists and non-technologists alike.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Have flexibility to work on the team’s most pressing problems.
- About cities, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.
Are you a software engineer interested in Sidewalk Labs, but are not sure this is the right role for you? No worries, please apply to our generalist position here. All applicants will be considered for any open position on our teams.