Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company with a mission to radically improve urban life. We aim to create inclusive, large-scale communities by bringing together an innovative planning approach, products and services designed to address urban challenges, and capital for real estate and advanced infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2015, we've grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
To date, we've incubated and invested in multiple companies focused on solving city problems, and we've launched the Sidewalk Toronto project, which aims to create a community along Toronto's waterfront that achieves new standards of sustainability, affordability, and economic opportunity for all.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for inclusive growth, our work is both highly exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
In this role, you will support our Talent team to run best-in-class recruiting processes: you’ll write strong job descriptions, build interview line-ups, and drive the process all the way to onboard new hires during their first weeks at the company. You will partner with Sidewalk Lab’s recruiters to support specific roles and you'll support our People Operations team as needs arise too. As you gain proficiency, your portfolio of roles and your scope of work might expand to include candidate sourcing and project management.
Our Talent team has built a unique team and well-working recruiting operation over the past few years. Recruiting on our team is unusual: we have access to some of the world’s brightest and most accomplished talent working at the leading edge of innovation to improve cities. Our roles tend to be idiosyncratic, driving us to be creative in our approach to find and select candidates that are great and represent a diversity of backgrounds and career paths.
This is an excellent opportunity to start your career in Talent and learn high-impact recruiting top-to-bottom. In our recruiting model, our coordinators are the empowered backbone of our team. This means you’ll stay on top of things and deliver an outstanding candidate experience. There is also an important link to our People Operations work, which starts at onboarding. Sitting at the core of our work will make you grow; fast. We see this as a first step of moving into a full recruiter role and we're committed to helping you grow into it.
Note: this is a full-time, benefit-eligible defined-term role through the end of 2020 with an expected start in January 2020.
What You Can Expect
Here is what you can expect out of a role on our team.
- Recruiting is about process: First and foremost, you own the recruiting process and ensure that all necessary steps in the process are planned, consistently delivered, and you find a solution to every last minute, on-the-fly change with clarity and grace.
- Recruiting is about people: the coordinator is a super-connector. You keep your clients, i.e. candidates, hiring managers and recruiters, in the loop. You build relationships, keep everyone on track, and you move the process forward as quickly as possible.
- Get stuff done, efficiently: You'll be scheduling interviews, working directly with candidates and hiring managers. There’s no better way to learn how to work and prioritize well. You'll connect dots quickly, follow up where others may have dropped a detail or left room for confusion, and be the first to lend a hand wherever needed.
- Learn to use systems and tools to make our work more efficient and effective. You will work with Greenhouse, Hiretual, UltiPro and other key systems of the trade.
- Lead Onboarding Support: process new hires (load data into HRIS and collect any paperwork), report new hires to the state of NY, verify employment eligibility via I-9, send welcome emails, track new hire trainings, schedule new hire orientation sessions, maintain onboarding slides and new hire lab partner program.
- You'll get visibility on plenty of things going on, learn from it and improve. This role will build your foundation for being a top recruiter or people professional.
Winning factors: What leads to success
- What your undergraduate degree is in doesn't matter. That you were good at it does.
- Realistically, you have some practical full-time experience with driving process, orchestrating others, setting expectations and executing reliably.
- You are passionate about people, you like getting things done.
- Above all else, you must be highly organized and create excellent partnerships, be a strong team player.
- You love taking initiative and proactively provide suggestions on how to streamline and improve processes.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business needs.