Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. Our vision for cities is rooted in a cross-disciplinary approach that is reflected in our team, composed of experts from real estate, government, finance, technology, and (software) engineering and more. Since its founding in 2015, Sidewalk Labs has evolved into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto.
We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto’s waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto (SWTO), will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
One of our most promising efforts focuses on the opportunities of bringing 21st century technology to bear on how we manage buildings. We have a vision for data- and computer-enabled building operation with a high degree of automation even within tenant space. Our initial focus is electricity demand management to support our goal of “affordable electrification” in which we will serve the needs of a fully electrified neighborhood within the capacity of a typical power grid.
We are looking for an Associate Director who is both a Building Management Systems (BMS) and controls expert to be the expert lead for our building automation workstream. For the foreseeable future, your primary responsibility will be initiating and advancing the five to ten pilots focused on commercial tenant space and home controls which we have initiated. Our goal is to develop a Minimum Viable Product that deliver a predictable utility bill through comprehensive device and equipment management.
This role (“AD-Tech”) sits within our Advanced Infrastructure / Sustainability team and has dotted line reporting to senior members of the Engineering and Product team.
What are the deliverables?
As described above, your initial main focus will be on our goals in Toronto. We expect the below to be representative:
After 3 months, you have…
- Drafted a controls plan for a prototypical building in Quayside with heavy emphasis on IoT or “open standards” BMS.
- Developed a detailed technical implementation plan and timeline for Commercial Tenant Scheduler pilots with attention to data flows, data/system security, ongoing monitoring and verification and staff/contractor resourcing.
- Successfully set up all remaining pilots, including contracting and communication with partners and sites and establishing ongoing monitoring / issue resolution.
- Helped due diligence technology acquisitions/ investments.
Within 6 months, you have…
- Proposed a 6-, 12- and 18-month roadmap to developing a minimum viable Commercial Office Scheduler product (MVP).
- Mapped out thermal and power metering and billing technology, and route to delivering “predictable utility bill”.
- Participated in building and infrastructure controls, automation, and operations strategy for another perspective neighborhood development.
What We Expect
At Sidewalk Labs, our Associate Directors typically couple broad deep and relevant experience coupled with a multidisciplinary background that helps them adapt to an entrepreneurial, strategically-focused and forward-thinking company culture. Below are some of the key things we care about for this role:
- Deep knowledge about a wide range of existing control systems and programs, their limitations and the cause of those limitations, and the new technologies or ideas that could overcome these limitations to disrupt and radically improve outcomes.
- Experience in the use of controls to manage building and/or district thermal energy systems, which includes understanding how building systems (e.g. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, security, access, lighting, networking, and work ticket management) work and the data streams that are available and useful.
- Orientation to results and execution; excited to see ideas implemented and tested in the real world and skilled and motivated to roll up their sleeves and put on their boots to get things done expeditiously.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.