Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. Our vision for cities is rooted in a cross-disciplinary approach that is reflected in our team, composed of experts from real estate, government, finance, technology, engineering and more. Since its founding in 2015, Sidewalk Labs has evolved into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto.
We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto’s waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
For us, buildings and infrastructure serve as a platform on which our innovations will be built. We’re contemplating approaches to design that allow for greater flexibility, reduced cost of maintenance, and integration of new systems.
We’re looking for a strong, independent Associate. This role will be part of our Development team, which owns the creation of our development plans and their execution, from urban planning, to design and construction.
During project planning and design, this position will work with design teams and local contractors to develop capital and operating cost models and delivery schedules, which will ultimately be used to inform project budgets for corporate and governmental approval and funding. During project construction and delivery, the position will participate in the preparation of bid packages, bid reviews including estimate analysis, assist in the review and processing of monthly payment applications and change orders, and update cost reports relative to budget.
This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Buildings Innovation. This role will work closely with other directors, including the Director of Infrastructure Delivery, who own the overall delivery strategy and are ultimately accountable for the achievement of our goals in their respective domains.
What are the deliverables?
Within one month, you have...
- Absorbed all current information on existing conditions, project plans, delivery schedule, and cost models
- Became familiar with all relevant team members and understand their roles in relationship to yours
- Became embedded in the organization established yourself as the go-to for cost and scheduling related issues
After 3 months, you have…
- Taken on day-to-day management of cost and schedule teams engaging internal stakeholders from Development, Urban Systems, Investments, and Engineering teams, as needed, to prepare and review cost estimates and delivery schedules
- Set the agenda and track initiatives to closure, holding contributors accountable to deadlines
- Reviewed plans for constructability and value engineering opportunities
Within 6 months, you have…
- Informed the budget and delivery schedule for corporate and governmental approval
- Continued to update cost models and schedules at key milestones throughout design development
- Served as a liaison between different project teams to ensure interdependencies are correctly tracked in various cost models and schedules
- Prepared drafts of the future requests for proposal for design, construction and operation at Quayside, including buildings and infrastructure, using various project delivery methods
- Established a network of qualified local contractors who are interested in the project for solicitation during request for proposal
Over your first year, you will have become the owner of cost models and delivery schedules, and participated in stakeholder approval for implementation. From there, you will be an integral part in making Sidewalk Toronto real through your contributions during construction of game-changing buildings and infrastructure.
What you need to be successful?
At Sidewalk Labs, our Associates typically have at least a few years of relevant experience, have proven that they can accomplish great things, and are excited to bring their abilities to our ambitious and hard work. Below are some of the key things we care about for this role:
- Real-world experience in delivering construction at cost and on-time.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of professional experience and a background in engineering, architecture, construction management, quantity surveying, or a related discipline.
- You know the practical, everyday concerns of project delivery working closely with designers, engineers, builders, and general contractors, and you understand how competing priorities, economic pressures, and construction timelines can all impact a project.
- You have the practical experience to readily benchmark costs prepared by others.
- Track record of quality and accuracy in your work.
- You’ve prepared estimates and delivery schedules for large development and/or infrastructure projects. You know the importance of being organized in preparing updates to costs and schedules at key milestones and preparing variance reports that will help stakeholders understand and manage changes.
- You are able to provide estimates from feasibility documents with commensurate level of accuracy. Similarly, you can create detailed cost estimates or oversee 3rd party estimates to make sure it is at the appropriate level of accuracy for contracting purposes.
- Finally, you are prepared to stand behind the quality and thoroughness of your work and be accountable for the successful outcome of the project.
- Strong collaborator, also across disciplines.
- You have strong project management skills, with a proven ability to independently manage deliverables with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- You receive direction from collaborators and communicate to keep other team members informed and on schedule. You have strong written, verbal, and visual presentation skills, with a proven ability to produce easy-to-read materials in a variety of formats for internal and external audiences.
- You put yourself into the middle of important conversations and let your perspectives be known when they matter.
- Critical thinker.
- You’re able to think through, communicate, and develop next steps for your project team in a timely manner. You review for overlap, blind spots or areas needing refinement between multiple models and work with your available resources to resolve.
- You identify opportunities for value engineering, works with the project team to analyze the benefit, and present your recommendations to the directors.
- You ask questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’ve developed a complete and comprehensive understanding to advance cost models and delivery schedules.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business needs.