Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently working with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community to design a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront. This project, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
What is the role?
To achieve our vision for Sidewalk Toronto, we aim to catalyze the application of technology to the urban environment. Increasingly, technological innovation, novel real estate operating models, and new construction methodologies will enable more affordable, sustainable, and liveable cities.
As an Associate, you will contribute to all phases of the real estate investment and development process, including underwriting, due diligence, execution, financing, and asset management. The initial focus of the role is on developing robust and detailed financial models for Sidewalk Toronto while supporting integration with the analysis carried out to date in collaboration with Sidewalk’s pillar teams.
By the end of the first six months you will...
- Deeply understand Sidewalk Labs’ proposed Toronto development project, plans for execution, and deal structure. You have become an expert in the Toronto real estate market and Sidewalk’s proposed program mix and business plan for Quayside.
- With this deep understanding of Sidewalk Labs and the development process, you’ve been able to successfully translate what needs to happen in the real world into a highly nuanced Excel model. You have developed a detailed real estate financial model for the Toronto project that incorporates Sidewalk’s innovations and are responsible for running all of our numbers against the big picture of the project.
- You are able to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously. For example, you will be responsible for developing the new detailed real estate model while continuing to maintain and operate the existing financial models.
- You’ve rolled with the punches with a myriad of shifts and changes that come with the territory of a large, mixed-use project.
After the first year and continuing onward...
- You have identified both pain points and key priorities for the success of the Quayside project, and you’ve taken on responsibility for progressing plans for one of the use types (residential, office, retail).
- You’ve become so comfortable with your work-streams that you are one of Sidewalk’s representatives in conversations with bank and financing partners and you are actively involved in the structuring execution of deals.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have 2-5 years of real estate experience, particularly in development and acquisitions;
- Expertise in building real estate models for mixed use urban developments from scratch;
- Transaction experience across structures (direct asset investments, JVs, funds);
- Asset management experience across use types preferred (residential, retail, office, logistics);
- Experience with real estate projects that include infrastructure and public sector components;
- Knowledge of the Toronto market and an interest in global real estate markets;
- An interest in new real estate asset classes, operating models, and construction techniques;
- Thrive in a rigorous, analytical environment, and have great time management and record keeping skills
- Enjoy collaborating with cross disciplinary teams handling large amounts of information;
- Exceptional performance in a top-tier academic program;
- Are a sharp and precise communicator.
At Sidewalk Labs, we believe cities will be fundamentally transformed by technology. We are very excited to hear from individuals who are passionate about achieving precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity through innovation.
The city of the future is a place for everyone. Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.