What is the role?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently working with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community to design a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront. This project, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
In this role, you will report directly to Sidewalk Labs’ Finance and Accounting Manager and will scale the Accounting function, own core accounting processes, and review, analyze, and interpret financial reports. Finance is a critical partner and advisor to Sidewalk Labs’ business. It will be crucial that you create forward-thinking financial analyses, generate management reports, and scale our financial processes. To do this, you will work closely with the Sidewalk Labs Finance Team, Alphabet Finance Team, and partner with the Sidewalk Labs business at large.
We think the best parts of this role will be the opportunity to have huge impact in early stages of our business. There will also be huge opportunity for you to learn and grow across a wide spectrum of issues.
Within the first 4 weeks you will...
- Get up to speed on our corporate structure and understand the intricacies of our reporting structure, segmentation, and financial statements.
Within the first quarter you will...
- Take ownership of creating the monthly close package and articulate the changes period-over-period to the stakeholders on the Finance team.
- Start to build a relationship with Alphabet Finance and work with them on initiatives as requested.
- Take ownership of the monthly accounting activity and day-to-day accounting tasks, including Journal entries, Account reconciliation using Blackline, expense compliance reporting, and financial reporting working with our on-site and off-site
Within the first 6 months you will...
- Support the Finance and Accounting Manager with Alphabet and Sidewalk Labs Finance team (Accounting, FP&A, Procurement and Payroll) on the appropriate setup of financial reports, changes to corporate structure, tax environment, accounting provisions, investment positions, and funding considerations.
On an ongoing basis you will…
- Create the monthly, quarterly, and annual close presentations to Sidewalk Labs and Alphabet’s’ finance organizations. This will also include Month-over-Month, Quarter -over-Quarter, and Year-over-Year analysis
- Maintain and balance subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, and reconciling transactions; actively work to resolve discrepancies.
- Coordinate with FP&A and the business to provide insight into the financial reporting and ensure timeliness and accuracy of all the data.
What we are looking for:
- BA/BS degree and practical experience (CPA/CA or equivalent)
- 4-5 years of relevant operational accounting experience and / or public accounting
- Strong systems thinker, with experience using financial software (e.g., Netsuite, Coupa, Blackline).
- Strong operational experience in a technology or real estate company, with an understanding of and experience with fund accounting, intercompany accounting, and knowledge of fixed assets. We can’t overstate the importance of financial operations experience in this role.
- Excellent project management and analytical skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and ability to communicate with management.
- You will be measured on accuracy, quality, and your ability to both identify and communicate financial risks to the organization.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.