Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Over the past two years, we have built a unique team of urbanists and technologists who have developed a vision for what this neighborhood of the future will be and how it will function:
- A mobility system that is safer and more convenient than the private car at much lower cost;
- A close-knit community that uses data to improve city services;
- A new standard of sustainability;
- A public realm that puts people first and is vibrant year-round;
- Housing and real estate that is more efficient and thus far more affordable;
- Open digital infrastructure that inspires innovation.
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Design & Rapid Prototyping team, using human-centered design to quickly test our earliest-stage hypotheses. You are an expert software/hardware technologist who will work across the digital and physical realms to unlock the true potential of place. You will travel to Toronto to listen, learn, and partner directly with the community in conjunction with the Sidewalk Toronto project.
You will work across many aspects of the product design cycle, including user research, interaction design, UI/UX engineering, testing and scaling a product. You will work closely with the Director of Design and product designers to:
- Develop prototypes and experiments, often integrating with sensors and an array of physical materials.
- Stress-test the desirability and feasibility of technology integrated in the urban environment, such as for mobility systems; adaptable and flexible public realm; and IoT for residential homes and commercial spaces.
- Methodically test and iterate ideas based on the approach of user-centered design sprints. Serial design sprints focus on a breadth of questions, including:
- How might we create an open standard for data governance and new design language to help users understand how, when, and why their data is being used, both in-app and in physical space?
- How might we achieve Vision Zero with adaptive street lighting, dynamic pavement, and better simulations of how traffic changes impact pedestrians and cyclists?
- How might we better understand the behaviors around home/office energy consumption and use nudge theory to help residents and workers live more sustainably?
Our rapid prototyping function is key to catalyzing a new market for urban innovation, so you must be interested in deep partnership with, and the opportunity to learn from, Toronto and global organizations. You must be able to start in the first quarter of 2019 for this role.
What we expect:
- Obsessed with user needs
- You have 4+ years of experience in product organizations, in a UX Engineering, Interaction Design, Front-end Engineer, or Creative Technologist role. You have worked on an agile team rooted in the user-centered design process.
- You are an excellent communicator who can advocate for our users both within the product and engineering teams and across the organization.
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept
- Be creative: use a diverse set of tools/methods to communicate your ideas effectively or solve a particular problem, and excited to learn something new when the need arises.
- Solve problems, together
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with users, urbanists and technologies
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems
You excel in working on multidisciplinary teams and are excited to learn from not only users, but subject-matter experts (and technical/non-technical people alike) across the organization
- Passionate about cities
- You have thought about the urban environment and care deeply about improving the lives of urban citizens
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.
Are you interested in design Sidewalk Labs, but are not sure this is the right role for you? No worries, please apply to our generalist position here. All applicants will be considered for any open position on these teams.