Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Over the past three years, we have built a unique team of urbanists and technologists who have developed a vision for what this neighborhood of the future will be and how it will function:
- A mobility system that is safer and more convenient than the private car at much lower cost;
- A new standard of sustainability creating buildings that proactively manage and reduce energy by over 20%;
- A close-knit community that uses data to improve city services;
- Housing and real estate that is more efficient and thus far more affordable;
- Open digital infrastructure that inspires innovation.
What is the role?
Our software engineers build products that focus on solving one of the problems above. You will work across software and hardware, and develop deep partnerships with our UX designers, product managers, and subject matter experts (e.g. architecture, housing affordability, mobility) to deliver products to unlock the true potential of a place. You will travel to Toronto to listen, learn, and partner directly with the community in conjunction with the Sidewalk Toronto project.
In your role as an Principal Engineer, you will be a key leader of Sidewalk Labs’ Engineering team, working to build and integrate the products, services, and solution that we believe can drastically improve the lives of city residents, workers, and visitors while protecting user privacy and security. This will involve solving complex computational problems, dealing with messy sources of data, and building systems which scale.
This is an ideal position for either a rising leader looking to take the next step up in their career, or a current manager looking to get back to being more hands-on.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you have built a deep understanding of Sidewalk Labs’ current initiatives and technology infrastructure (Python, Go and Typescript running on Google Cloud Platform/Kubernetes), coding style and standards, and have contributed code to the repository. You will have begun to build strong relationships with the members of your team and are beginning to understand the dynamics of the organization.
- By the end of your third month, you should have added features to our existing projects, and prototyped at least one new idea.
- From there your role will continue to evolve, as you take on a leadership role in the engineering team. The types of problems we are trying to solve could include:
- How can we help cities reduce road congestion?
- How does air pollution vary throughout a city, and what are the best ways to reduce it?
- How can technology support city leaders and planners understand their city and make good decisions?
- How do we use technologies like self-driving cars, pervasive networking and widespread environmental sensors to maximize their positive impact on the future of the city?
- How can we build digital products that will help us keep urban populations healthy?
- Know your Computer Science.
- You have a strong CS background, in order to work with your team to design great systems, without reinventing the wheel.
- You have been a part of shipping several successful products, ideally across multiple domains.
- You have at least 10+ years of industry experience in a world-class engineering organization.
- Act as a technologist.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Strong ability to write production code quickly.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Be comfortable with a range of languages and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Exceptional manager and leader.
- You have led organizations, managed multiple teams at once, and guided complex projects with many internal and external stakeholders. Your teams and reports hold you in highest regard since you manage effectively, drive teams to deliver their best work, and care about the individuals.
- Solve problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with technologists and non-technologists alike.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Have flexibility to work on the team’s most pressing problems.
- About cities, solving hard problems and our team’s success.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.
Are you a software engineer interested in Sidewalk Labs, but are not sure this is the right role for you? No worries, please apply to our generalist position here. All applicants will be considered for any open position on our teams.