Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We believe that successful cities of the future will integrate technology, design, and policy innovations to improve quality of life and address the challenges facing thriving cities today. The difficulty of the task requires a high degree of cross-functional collaboration and nimble, out-of-the-box thinking.
In October 2017, our team began planning one of the largest and most complex urban initiatives in North America. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will blend people-centered urban design with cutting-edge technology to achieve new standards of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity. Through the end of 2019, we will be developing a Master Innovation and Development Plan (MIDP) in close consultation with government partners and the local community.
What is the role?
A great opportunity exists for an ambitious, bright and well-organized individual to work on the Policy and Communications team at Sidewalk Labs and help lead our work on the development of innovative public policy proposals.
In this role you’ll be responsible for working with the Policy and Communications team, legal team, subject-area experts, outside advisors, and government partners to explore existing statutory and regulatory frameworks and design detailed, actionable proposals that would provide for and encourage urban innovation. You will also be responsible for communicating our proposals, and related policy analysis, to internal and external audiences, in writing and verbally.
This role will focus both on our work in Toronto and our approach to urban innovation more generally. You will be based in either New York or Toronto, report to the Head of Policy and Communications, and collaborate closely with members of other teams and senior leadership at Sidewalk Labs.
After the first few months you will have…
- Developed a deep working knowledge of the areas of innovation Sidewalk Labs is focused on.
- Studied and internalized the extensive policy analysis and development work that has been done by internal teams and outside advisors, and made a plan to rapidly advance that work.
- Have made a substantial contribution to the development and refinement of statutory and regulatory proposals included in the Master Innovation and Development Plan for Sidewalk Toronto.
- Tasked and managed outside consultants and attorneys, as necessary, for inputs on our policy and program agenda.
- Produced written work product that communicates, for external audiences, specific analyses and proposals as well as Sidewalk Labs’ approach to policy innovation, more generally.
What we expect from you:
This is a chance to apply your deep knowledge, skills and thinking to cutting edge urban development and technology issues. You possess the ability to rapidly process and analyze complex technical, regulatory and policy issues. You are a generalist who can nimbly build expertise on any subject and understand the perspectives and objectives that led to existing policy frameworks. You think outside the box and have the substantive chops to develop creative policy solutions that enable innovation and protect the public interest. You can engage on complex subjects with experts and laymen alike.
You can make an argument persuasively while collaborating effectively. You are a utility player, highly organized and comfortable working cross-functionally. This role requires significant experience working with public policy issues in government, legal, urban planning, and/or technology organizations. Ideal candidates will be enthusiastic team players, eager to shape the future of cities. We expect all candidates to exhibit:
- A demonstrated commitment to cities and interest in urban innovation.
Strong project management skills.
- At least eight years’ experience working on complex statutory and regulatory issues.
- Extremely strong written, verbal and presentation skills, with the capacity to write in extensive detail on policy issues.
- Deep attention to details, organization systems and the ability to take projects over the finish line.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, a sense of humor and the ability to thrive as a member of a small team in a fast moving environment, with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills for both internal and external audiences
- A law degree is a plus, but not required.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business needs.