Who are we?
Replica is a part of Sidewalk Labs, an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth.
The Replica team is creating a next-generation urban planning tool that can help cities answer key transportation questions. Replica allows city planners to understand the full impact of their decisions within the rapidly changing world of mobility.
Replica was previously known as the Model Lab.
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Replica’s San Francisco based engineering team. Your work will initially focus on building the infrastructure to power our microservices-based travel modeling pipeline. We are a small but growing team, currently working with multiple cities across the United States. As we expand, we are looking for an experienced backend engineer with strong computer science fundamentals to drive our ability to scale and meet demands.
We use a diverse set of open-source tools and services that you will leverage to push the limits of what we are capable of making. You should be excited to pick-up new technologies as the need arises, and come to us with experience in Python and at least one systems programming language (C++, Java, Go).
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will build a deep understanding of Replica’s current initiatives and technology infrastructure, coding style and standards, and have contributed several features to the product.
- From there your role will continue to evolve—we’re still a startup team. Here’s a small sampling of projects we may be work on:
- Setting up a robust monitoring system for our services
- Designing new architecture to make our data pipelines more robust
- Improve the speed and fidelity of our travel and behavior models, including multi-modal route-finding and congestion modeling
What we expect:
- Know your software engineering.
- Have a strong CS background, in order to choose the right algorithms, systems approaches and patterns to solve problems, without reinventing the wheel.
- Candidates need to be able to hit the ground running. Therefore, 3+ years of industry experience in a world-class engineering organization is required.
- Experience with Python and at least one systems programming language (C++, Java, or Go). Experience with Google Cloud Platform and/or Kubernetes a plus.
- Act as a technologist.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Strong ability to write production code quickly.
- Be comfortable with a range of languages and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem. You are excited to learn something new when the need arises.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Solve problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with non-technologists and others.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Have flexibility to work on the team’s most pressing problems.
- Care. About cities, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
Replica is committed to creating a diverse environment. We encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech and urban planning industries to apply.