Who are we?
Replica is a part of Sidewalk Labs, an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth.
The Replica team is creating a next-generation urban planning tool that can help cities answer key transportation questions. Replica allows city planners to understand the full impact of their decisions within the rapidly changing world of mobility.
Replica was previously known as the Model Lab.
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Replica’s San Francisco based engineering team. Your work will initially focus on unlocking insights and creating delightful user experiences that are helpful for technologists and non-technologist alike.
We are a small but growing team, currently working with multiple cities across North America. As we expand, we are looking for an experienced front-end engineer with strong computer science fundamentals. You will focus on the product and user experience, working collaboratively with design, other engineers, and our customers. This is a full-stack position, with the Product Engineering team owning the application code from database to web client.
Our current stack is React, Redux, and Typescript, but we are looking for fast learners who have used any modern framework such as, Ember.js, AngularJS, etc.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will build a deep understanding of Replica’s current initiatives and technology infrastructure, coding style and standards, and have contributed several features to the product.
- By the end of month three you will be independently developing new features, from the database to the UI.
- From there your role will be continue to evolve—we’re still a startup team. Here’s a small sampling of projects we may be work on:
- Implementing new features based on extensive feedback from current customers,
- Ensuring site stability through tracking, testing, and monitoring,
- Improving the performance of data communication between server and web client,
- Exploring novel user interface paradigms for spatial/temporal data exploration.
What we expect:
- Know your software engineering.
- Have a strong CS background, in order to choose the right algorithms, systems approaches and patterns to solve problems, without reinventing the wheel.
- Candidates need to be able to hit the ground running. Therefore, 2+ years of industry experience in a world-class engineering organization is required.
- Be passionate about delivering delightful user experiences by working closely with the design and product teams and with end users.
- Be an expert in multiple layers of the stack.
- Experience with application and UX development using a modern framework such as Redux and React. The larger the scale of the application, the better.
- Ability to quickly build, extend, and debug application framework components.
- Design server/client communications to make efficient use of data bandwidth (i.e. pagination/tiling, caching, and progressive loading).
- Comfortable writing APIs and business logic to service data from our databases to the web client.
- Act as a technologist.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Strong ability to write production code quickly.
- Be comfortable with a range of languages and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem. You are excited to learn something new when the need arises.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Solve problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with non-technologists and others.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Have flexibility to work on the team’s most pressing problems.
- About cities, solving hard problems, and our team’s success.
Replica is committed to creating a diverse environment. We encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech and urban planning industries to apply.