Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. In partnership with Waterfront Toronto and the local community, we are currently designing a district along Toronto’s waterfront. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will blend people-centered urban design with cutting-edge technology to achieve new standards of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
As of October 2017, our team has begun planning and executing one of the largest and most complex urban initiatives in North America. Through the end of 2019, we will be developing a Master Innovation and Development Plan (MIDP) in close consultation with government partners and the local community.
This effort goes far beyond traditional development to envision a neighborhood of the future that integrates technology, design, and policy innovations to improve quality of life. The difficulty of the task requires a high degree of cross-functional collaboration and nimble, out-of-the-box thinking.
What is the role?
A great opportunity exists for an ambitious, bright and well-organized individual to work on the Policy and Communications team at Sidewalk Toronto. In this role you’ll be responsible for supporting the Directors and Head of Policy and Communications in shaping policies, communications strategies, government relations, and public engagement work critical to the success of Sidewalk Toronto.
This role is based in Toronto and will be expected to collaborate closely with members of other teams and senior leadership at Sidewalk Labs.
After the first few months you will...
- Develop a deep working knowledge of the various work streams related to Sidewalk Toronto such as mobility, sustainability, affordability, development, privacy and data and community services and develop a system to track the work of each pillar.
- Support the work of the Policy and Communications team, including policy development, communications strategies, government relations, and public engagement.
- Produce written work product, including policy analyses, legislative proposals, public presentations, press releases and op-eds.
- Task and manage outside consultants and attorneys, as necessary, for inputs on Sidewalk Toronto’s policy and program agenda.
- Support the Policy and Communications team as required on the execution of programs and events.
What we expect from you:
This is a chance to apply your deep knowledge, skills and thinking to cutting edge urban development and technology issues. You possess the ability to grasp complex technical, regulatory and policy issues and are able to synthesize, organize and communicate them clearly to diverse audiences.
You are a utility player, highly organized and comfortable working cross-functionally tackling fast-moving and constantly changing issues. This role requires significant experience either working in government, politics, urban planning or a regulatory agency in Canada. Ideal candidates will be enthusiastic team players, eager to shape the future of Sidewalk Toronto. We expect all candidates to exhibit:
- A demonstrated commitment to cities and interest in urban innovation.
- Strong project management skills.
- Extremely strong written, verbal and presentation skills with a proven ability to produce high quality materials in a variety of formats.
- Deep attention to details, organization systems and the ability to take projects over the finish line.
- A entrepreneurial, self-starter, with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive as a member of a small team in a fast moving environment.
- Deep familiarity and experience with urban policy issues such as sustainability, affordability, mobility, community and social services and infrastructure
- Strong ability to think, plan and execute with minimal direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex policy issues into an understandable language for a broad range of audiences
- Strong communicator with strong interpersonal skills for both internal and external audiences
- Between 5-15 years of experience in a combination of development, urban planning, politics, government or a government agency.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business needs.