Based in New York but fully distributed, Shortcut builds project management software for software and product teams that people actually want to use - just ask an engineer how they feel about Jira. Thousands of the fastest-growing software companies use Shortcut to plan and build software, including Glossier, Venmo, Daitaku, Scale AI, FullStory, LaunchDarkly, and others. At Shortcut, you'll be joining a small but quickly growing team that values kindness, dedication, collaboration, and transparency across all of our work.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and grow our User Experience and Performance team. This team helps keep our app fast, builds shared abstractions for other teams to use, and generally tries to make engineers at Shortcut effective.
Our engineering team is made up of a diverse mix of individuals with experience at large and small companies and with a range of technical skills (you can meet some of the team here!) You'll be managing three to eight engineers within that squad, supporting their career growth and job satisfaction. This role will report to our Director of Engineering and will be responsible for a mix of team management and technical leadership.
What you'll do:
- Lead, mentor, coach, motivate and manage a team of software engineers.
- Help grow the Shortcut team by attracting, onboarding, and retaining diverse software engineers.
- Build psychological safety on your team to make sure everyone can contribute.
- Eliminate dependencies and blockers for your engineers and provide direction and focus.
- Lead the team in planning and scoping projects.
- Collaborate with other engineering managers, engineers, product managers, and designers.
- Help the team decide and move forward without perfect information.
You should have:
- 1+ year experience as an engineering manager.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- A servant-leadership management style.
- A commitment to growing and developing your team.
- Ability to track and successfully complete complex projects.
- Ability to own delivery for your team, provide visibility into it, and be accountable for it. You drive towards outcomes and assess any opportunity for its potential impact, and help your team do the same.
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practices and how to apply them. You help the team deliver iteratively and continuously.
- A strong level of comfortability with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge. Our company and customer base are rapidly growing, and this means new information can lead to new processes and outcomes.
Extra credit (nice to have):
- Experience managing a remote team
- Front-end performance experience
- Tech lead experience
Even if you don't meet all of the requirements listed, we still encourage you to apply. Job requirements are a wishlist, not a checklist, and we're happy to help the right candidate grow into this role - if you're excited about Shortcut, we're excited about you!
What we offer:
- Compensation: A competitive salary in addition to meaningful equity in the company - you should be able to take ownership of what you’re helping to build.
- Benefits: Health, Dental, and Vision insurance, FSA, OneMedical, Teladoc, Health Advocate, 401(k), commuter benefits
- Work-life balance: A flexible open vacation policy, in addition to 10 company holidays, 5 sick days, and 3 “Dot Days” (our term for bonus days off), community (volunteer) PTO, 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave. We also observe 40 hour work weeks without the expectation of after-hours or weekend work.
- Learning and development: A $2,000 annual stipend to use toward conferences, educational courses, books, membership fees and more
- WFH: We are a fully remote company, and we provide all the equipment you need to work from home in addition to an annual WFH stipend.
Target base salary for this role based on experience: $150,000-$200,000 annually + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k))
At Shortcut, we embrace the different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences our team members bring to the table. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome all applicants and teammates regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by applicable law. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.