The Smarter Way to Shop for Style
The ShopStyle BI team is searching for a Data Scientist in the Bay Area to lead the design and implementation of the NLP systems that power our search engine. We need someone who is technically strong, energetic, organized, highly collaborative and passionate about search and delivering quality search experiences to our customers.
As the data scientist on BI team, you will own the design and implementation of our NLP projects. Working in collaboration with our data analysts and catalog teams, you will continually optimize the query performance, caching, and indexing of the system. With the product and business intelligence teams, you will iterate on our ML, NLP, and custom ranking algorithms to meet customer needs. You should be a team player, with the ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams, and be comfortable on the front lines of the business making a real difference. You will be responsible for creating and enhancing data science products, through innovative thought processes, all the way from conception to deployment and testing. This role is perfect for someone looking to make a real difference by deploying their data science skill set at a successful and growing company.
- Design and develop scalable algorithms, using large amounts of data, to drive ever smarter products
- Design, develop and deploy data-driven Machine learning Models based on Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Deep Learning techniques.
- Deep knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, text mining, statistics, NLP or related field.
- Hands-on experience of deep learning technologies and familiar with state-of-the-art deep learning toolkits (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, etc).
- Use data mining skills to design and develop tools that can optimize recommendations and user experience for our website customers
- Use internal data to better understand customer behavior within the business funnel, from acquisition, through retention to monetization
- Deliver impact on variety of areas like content personalization, customer communication, payments, product development and merchant relationships
- Practice and recommend latest technology trends and statistical / mathematical methodologies
- Work closely with a variety of teams to deploy tests, drive deployment and adoption of data science products
- 3+ years of industry experience in building large-scale Natural Language Processing systems from researching a prototype to production.
- Experience in C/C++ and Python or the ability to learn them quickly.
- Strong SQL skills
- Strong applied machine learning skills of multiple techniques and algorithms, such as decision trees, regression, k-NN, unsupervised pattern detection etc.
- Experience working as a data scientist for an e-commerce business
- Experience developing optimization and recommendation algorithms
- Experience communicating analyses and fielding questions from executive team members
- Experience with successfully moving data science products from prototypes to production release
- Experience with Scala a plus
- PhD/MS with relevant experience in the fields of Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning or Deep Learning.
- Experience building production-ready NLP or information retrieval systems.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
ShopStyle is the world’s leading fashion search engine with the largest offering across 18 million products from more than 1,400 edited brands and retailers across the globe. By partnering with a curated selection of the best retailers and brands, our customers are confident in our search results covering every brand or store worth shopping, resulting in a smart, quick, relevant and inspirational shopping experience.
ShopStyle Collective is our influencer program that helps monetize any digital shopping content. Our network of more than 14,000 bloggers, vloggers, Instagrammers and app developers empower fashion-focused shopping across their respective channels.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to join us in our purpose — changing the way people shop.
For more information, visit ShopStyle.com.
Employment eligibility to work with Rakuten and its brands in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.