The Smarter Way to Shop for Style
ShopStyle is the world’s leading fashion search engine. We are looking for a Java Backend Engineer to join a growing team working on the Backend Platform team. Our backend REST API is Java and Microservices with Spring Boot that scales to support web and mobile frontend traffic of over 18 million monthly users. Our frontend uses Angular, TypeScript, Node, and Play. We also support mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Wisconsin and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to help us change the way people shop.
This position is based out of the Beloit, Wisconsin office. Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design and implementation of backend features to support rich, dynamic web experiences and public APIs
- Work with the DevOps team and the Senior engineering staff to improve infrastructure towards Continuous Deployment
- Solve small to medium data collection/processing challenges
- Contribute to weekly feature releases and code reviews while working on a distributed team - Monitor and maintain the existing backend functionalities
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of core Java programming experience
- Strong understanding of OOP design principles (loose coupling, encapsulation, etc.) - Knowledge of backend paradigms (multithreading, caching, performance tuning)
- Experience with relational databases (schema design and advanced SQL queries)
- Ability to work on a remote and distributed team of engineers
- Passion for keeping up with new technologies and industry trends
Nice to have:
- Experience developing with Spring and Spring Boot
- Experience building or working with a microservices based infrastructure
- Experience working with large, complex commercial web applications
Employment eligibility to work with Rakuten and its brands in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.