Born out of frustration with the traditional cash register business, ShopKeep was designed by a retailer with a noble aim: to rescue independent business owners from the nightmare of archaic point of sale systems, and replace them with something beautiful, simple, and affordable. It turned out that by doing this, we were giving our merchants a fighting chance against the big guys.
Today, our mission is simple: empower independent business owners to dream big and to fight smart. We’re doing this through our cloud-based architecture and intuitive software that delivers the data small business owners need to run smarter businesses.
As we adapt to recent changes in the way our merchants are having to conduct business, we are looking for talented and experienced engineers who can help us align around initiatives and build out the changes needed to ensure we continue to support our merchants in these challenging times.
About This Role
We are looking for an expert in iOS development to join our team to take a key role in driving the technical direction of our iPad Register app, and other iOS applications.
With a mature iPad application that spans back to the first models of the iPad, and earliest versions of iOS, We need someone with the experience, appetite and aptitude to deliver wide ranging improvements at the code, infrastructure, and process level. You will have a real impact on our application in order to improve the experience for both our customers and our engineers.
While you may be located anywhere in the US, we operate in the EST time zone.
What You Will Do
As a Lead iOS engineer you are expected to lead complex changes to the ShopKeep iPad Register and take ownership of key processes and strategic changes for the better.
Your primary responsibilities are to:
- Take ownership of significant improvements to the ShopKeep Register
- Identify architectural deficiencies and create achievable paths to solve them
- Lead and participate in design conversations to improve our architecture
- Engage in considerate, but robust, PR reviews
- Work with Test Engineering to ensure we are continually shipping the most resilient POS on the market
- Expert level skills developing for iOS, including solution design knowledge
- At least 5 years of iOS application development in a professional environment or other relevant experience, including advanced knowledge of testing for iOS
- Significant experience working with Swift and Objective-C in a production environment
- Significant experience with iOS dependency management and frameworks
- Experience with iOS continuous integration and development (CI/CD)
- Experience working with complex user interfaces
- Experience working with complex REST API
- Experience with Agile development practices and test-driven development
- A desire to share knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - you should be able to lead your peers in the direction you wish to go
- Experience with RxSwift or equivalent
- Experience with multi-threaded, concurrent software design
How We Work
Our teams are independent, market-aligned and work across a broad set of technologies and skills to deliver end-to-end solutions. Teams are encouraged and empowered to build their products in a lean manner delivering as much customer value as early as possible. We are a Scrum shop with dedicated Product Owners who work closely with the team.
We also put heavy emphasis on learning and provide our team members with opportunities to learn every step of the way. Sending people to conferences of their choice, hosting tech talks and meetups, publishing technical newsletters, providing opportunities to move around teams, etc. are all ways that we ensure that our teams are always learning and growing.
Quality is paramount! Developers take testing and test automation seriously - tests are written at all levels - unit, integration and end-to-end. We even invest in Robotics to automate the credit card swipe!
Mobile teams follow Continuous Integration practices and frequently merge to master that ships with weekly or bi-weekly releases. These releases are rolled out to thousands of our customers in phased rollouts.
We provide the essentials…
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401k Match
...and the fun-damentals:
- Lively and enriching Engineering culture
- Regularly scheduled hackathons, meetups and Tech Talks
- Opportunity to enhance your remote working experience due to COVID-19, thanks to our work from home budget
- Opportunity to participate in Engineering Conferences, thanks to our generous company conference budget
- Meditation Sessions
- And more to come as we work on ideas to help us keep the community feel connected while working remote
We like CVs, but links to your Github profile, your personal projects, your Twitter, your blog, your open source contributions, and so forth will give us a more rounded picture of who you are.
ShopKeep is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. We don't discriminate based on gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or any other individual characteristics. We practice equality of opportunity in employment and select the best person for the job.