Born out of frustration with the traditional cash register business, ShopKeep was designed by a retailer with a noble aim: to rescue independent business owners from the nightmare of archaic point of sale systems, and replace it with something beautiful, simple and affordable. It turned out that by doing this, we were giving our fellow merchants a fighting chance against the big guys. So we kept doing it.
Today, our mission is simple: Empower independent business owners to dream big and fight smart. We’re doing this by disrupting the industry through our cloud-based architecture, amazing customer care and intuitive software that delivers the data small business owners need to run a smarter businesses.
At ShopKeep, we’ve been successful because of our awesome team that believes small businesses make up the heart of our communities. If you want to defend the independent spirit of “Main Street”, you’ve found your kind of people.
About This Role
DevOps at Shopkeep is progressive, supportive, bleeding edge and fun. We deliver secure, reliable and robust infrastructure for our business. Our team is based out of Belfast, Edinburgh and New York. We serve our core and wider engineering teams based in both Belfast and New York. Our core infrastructure is deployed on Amazon AWS. You’ll manage hundreds of instances across multiple regions. Both our customer facing and internal services are deployed on Kubernetes.
You will be a core member of the small and agile DevOps team at ShopKeep, designing and deploying some of the most cutting edge technologies in use.
- Improving and refining our existing infrastructure.
- Designing solutions for new and old problems.
- Pairing with existing team members to share and learn.
- Championing and then introducing new technologies you believe in.
- Providing a point-of-first-contact for our engineers in the EST timezone.
- Engaging with other teams in the early stages of new projects to consult on requirements, system design, and disaster recovery.
- Helping to ensure the team continues to evolve and improve in everything we do, and how we do it.
- Problem solver.
- Driven to automate.
- Broad background
- Quality coder.
- Curious and helpful.
- Able to quickly understand complex systems.
- The ability to document systems in plain English.
- Exceptionally strong AWS knowledge.
- An understanding of network routing, subnets and VPNs.
- You’ll have had some experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- A strong and deep level of understanding of what makes up our stack.
- Ability to develop and reuse solutions using Python, Ruby or other languages.
- Security focused.
You’ll also have prior experience with at least some other elements of our stack:
- AWS (incl. S3, EC2, RDS, Lambda, Cloudfront, VPCs, Cloudformation, Redshift, IAM, Route 53)
- Hashicorp’s Terraform, Vault and Consul
- Python, Ruby, Go or similar
We provide the essentials...
- Health Insurance with Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Life and Income Protection Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Pension Scheme
...and the fun-damentals:
- Catered Meals
- Happy Hours
- Beer Fridge
- Pool Table
- Stocked Snack Shelf
- Engineering Conferences
ShopKeep is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on grounds of religious belief or political opinion. We practice equality of opportunity in employment and select the best person for the job.
To demonstrate our commitment to equality of opportunity in employment we need to monitor the community background of our applicants and employees, as required by the Fair Employment and Treatment (NI) Order 1998. You are not obliged to answer the questions on this form and you will not suffer any penalty if you choose not to do so. Any information that you provide will remain confidential and will only be used for monitoring and reporting purposes.
Important: If you answer the questions about your community background and gender you are obliged to do so truthfully, as it is a criminal offense under the Fair Employment (Monitoring) Regulations (NI) 1999 to knowingly give false answers to these questions.