The Engineering Department at Auctane builds and supports the software products that meet business needs and drive revenue. This could include customer facing products, shared platform services, operational tools, as well as internal support tools. The engineering team works with stakeholders, product management, and design to ensure the team is building the right solutions to the highest priority opportunities. Engineering teams work with QA to ensure products are testable and high quality. The engineering team upholds industry best practices and Auctane’s internal standards to ensure quality and long-term value. Once software is running in production, the engineering team ensures that the software is highly available, reliable, secure, and efficient. The engineering team works to resolve any issues that arise, either customer facing or internal.
The Manager of Engineering plays an important leadership role in the Engineering department. This individual is responsible for managing a team of engineers. The Engineering Manager partners with a product manager to understand business needs and deliver quality products with a high velocity. This individual keeps their team engaged, focused, and unencumbered. The position is responsible for technical leadership, project management, employee growth and development, and representing their team to other teams inside of Auctane.
- Managing and leading a team of software engineers.
- Technical Leadership – guide technical direction and provide technical oversight for the team.
- Product Direction – understand business needs, have scoping and tradeoff conversations with product managers and engineers.
- Product Delivery – drive the sprint cycle, apply project management skills, and remove blockers
- Process – define and refine processes for the team based on team needs and outcomes.
- Coach – mentor, guide, and provide career guidance for software engineers.
- Effective Communicator – communicate effectively with PM, engineers, QA, support, sales, and upper management.
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Position Duties (typical monthly, weekly, daily tasks which support the primary objectives):
- Leads the team in all phases of planning, developing and delivering product features, in accordance to industry and internal standards.
- Holds team accountable to work quality and timelines
- Contribute or review technical designs
- Own overall architectural decisions
- Ensure code reviews are conducted thoughtfully and routinely
- Partners with Product Management to inform long term product directions and roadmaps
- Partners with Product Management to own all aspects of the sprint cycle: backlog grooming, estimation, sprint planning, project status, testing, and deployment.
- Evaluate feasibility of features requests
- Ensure that requirements are clear and well defined
- Scope features or ensure engineers have thoughtfully scoped work
- Advocate for decomposing projects into smallest valuable deliverables
- Strategically plans and coordinates the development effort and assignments to meet the need of the stakeholders
- Sets a high technical bar for the team to strive towards
- Drives the delivery of highly valuable features and improvements
- Continually improving – through feedback and retrospectives, add process where needed and ensure process is not in the way, adapt systems and operations as issues surface
- Owns security – ensure that software is built in accordance with industry best practices while keeping tools, patterns, and libraries up to date as new information surfaces.
- Reduces tech debt by identifying and prioritizing areas of improvement that increase team velocity
- Drive test automation into the development process to improve team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Mentor team members on development strategies and techniques.
- Own resolution of production or critical customer issues, which may include working outside of office hours.
- Review team status on a daily basis to ensure blocking issues are known and resolved in a timely manner.
- Report to stakeholders about the status of release deliverables, risks and impediments.
- Analyze, evaluate and present information concerning status, process, and opportunity to management.
- Hiring and performance management of team members including, coaching, guidance, disciple, reward, and annual reviews.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Five or more (5+) years of hands on software engineering experience.
- Five or more (5+) years of experience on an agile, SCRUM, or Kanban based software team.
- Two or more (2+) years of delivering web-based software.
- Two or more (2+) years of monitoring and supporting web-based software in production.
- One or more (1+) years technically leading or managing a software team.
- Experience and proficiency in software design and architecture.
- Experience and proficiency in task and project estimation.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field of study, or equivalent years of experience.
- Hands-on, technical management experience with creative problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record for coaching and mentoring software engineers.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Collaborates with Product Managers and stakeholders to understand business needs
- Keep in sync with Stakeholders to ensure the team knows what they are building and why.
- Analyzes project requests for viability, reasonability, and potential technical solutions
- Solves business needs through technical solutions and systems
- Ensures that the team’s tasks are clearly defined, attainable, and prioritized
- Prioritizes sprint goals to deliver the most possible value, as soon as possible
- Keeps the team engaged and effective in the software development lifecycle
- Ensures team clearly understands business needs and expectations
- Listens to and gives feedback to individual contributors about their day to day to activities
- Tracks and understands what everyone on the team is working on
- Ensures the team is consistently delivering working software to Auctane’s shared standards
- Assesses and mitigates risks for projects, new features, bug fixes, and high-level product changes
- Facilitates and empowers the team to self-organize and communicate so it takes collective responsibility for the work it does.
- Remove impediments where possible and raise the rest to the appropriate person outside of the team to make sure that issues are resolved quickly and features are delivered efficiently as possible
- Communicates with stakeholders about the status of features, releases, and technical projects including risks and opportunities
- Collaborates with product management, QA, operations, and other engineering teams to ensure that project plans are met with quality and efficiency
- Drives the advancement of the automated test library and coverage
- Expert level technologist in one or more tools relevant to the team’s technology stack
- Advanced in multiple aspects of full stack development
- At least intermediate at remaining layers of full stack development (relevant to team)
- Advanced at SaaS application monitoring, logging, and troubleshooting
- Intermediate at cloud infrastructure and cloud native architecture
Additional Position Duties: (The following is a list of what all employees, except those with medical accommodation, may be regularly required to do.)
- Sit for prolonged periods of time
- Utilize wrist and hands for a prolonged period of time
- Walk short distances
- Stand for short periods
- Speaking and conversing with others
- Lift up to 25lbs without assistance up to chest height
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled