The Auctane Design team is responsible for the award-winning user experience of our portfolio of products. We use our unique skills to uncover latent customer needs, solve complex problems, and align our cross-functional teams around solutions. We work collaboratively with product teams to shape, envision, and execute solutions. Our end goal is to discover insights, help shape the product, and create quality work with impact that has lasting value for our customers and our company. We are a rapidly growing team -- doubled in size in the last year.
This position is located onsite in Austin, TX.
The Director, Design and Usability will manage and grow the design team to serve our entire portfolio of products. This role is both the leader for a set of amazing designers and a champion for shipping great user experiences to our customers. Leading candidates will have deep consumer and/or SaaS design experience both as a manager and an individual contributor. You have a demonstrated ability to create real value from design. You are an elegant problem solver. You and your teams build things that give people superpowers by making the complex simple and magical. You build high performing teams— hiring top level people and helping junior people grow into senior ones. You are a cultural leader who will up-level how every team at Auctane engages with our users. You combine business insight, technical acumen, and human understanding to drive a prioritized design roadmap. This role will report to the Chief Product Officer.
- Work with other members of the product leadership team to organize work and ensure quality outcomes
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and engineers to understand project requirements.
- Form productive working relationships with members of the product, design, marketing, and engineering teams.
- Provide guidance and feedback to the designers on the team.
- Organize and manage hiring and team development.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Art, Design, HCL, UX or related field, or equivalent years’ experience.
- Ten or more (10+) years’ work experience as a product/UX designer.
- Six or more (6+) years’ experience as a design manager leading a team.
- Ecommerce or logistics industry experience is a plus.
- Experience designing and building complex experience at scale.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of design disciplines (user-centered design, layout, information architecture, typography / layout, ux patterns).
- Basic understanding of web technologies (HTML5 and CSS3).
- Collaborative working style.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Able to receive and incorporate feedback from peers as well as stakeholders; provides constructive criticism.
- Listens, gets clarification, and takes where necessary to record key decisions; Asks questions to help clarify ambiguity; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Proficient: Adept with design tools like Sketch and InVision. Abstract is a plus.
- Customer focused: You're always looking for ways to know more about your users including both qualitative and qualitative methods for gathering data and feedback.
- Organized: can deliver to expectations with little intervention.
- Sketch, InVision, and Abstract
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled