Every day, the complex challenges of global shipping and logistics bring growing pains that fast-growing online brands struggle to negotiate. Getting products into the hands of customers quickly and affordably is a challenge for most. At Auctane, we serve and champion these merchants every day. Our software stack solves shipping and logistics problems that arise as merchants scale, so they can focus their time, energy, and resources on what matters most.
Auctane is a team of shipping and software experts with a passion for helping merchants move their ideas, dreams and innovations around the globe. The Auctane family includes ShipStation, ShipWorks, ShipEngine, and ShippingEasy. Our partners include Amazon, UPS, USPS, eBay, BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce, and Walmart.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Stamps.com, Auctane is headquartered in Austin, TX, with offices in St. Louis, London, Spain and Sydney.
ShippingEasy is the company’s second largest eCommerce brand and is focused on building an intuitive and accessible product for customers with a simple workflow.
The Senior Software Engineer - Ruby on Rails is responsible for building the infrastructure that supports our merchants’ experience and maintaining our systems to ensure a consistently excellent experience.
- Develop high quality and maintainable software.
- Improve overall system security, scalability, reliability, monitorability, and performance.
- Deliver iterative improvements weekly to ensure the product is constantly improving.
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Position Duties (typical monthly, weekly, daily tasks which support the primary objectives):
- Write well tested code in Ruby on Rails.
- Understand customer problems and ensure solutions meet those needs.
- Review code of other team members to ensure consistent quality across the code base.
- Periodically solve bug reports coming through support to ensure our product is stable and usable.
- Making architectural decisions related to new and existing features.
- Deploy code weekly to production to keep up with business needs.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- 7+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of Ruby on Rails development experience
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Preferred Education and/or Experience (if applicable):
- 4+ years experience in Ruby on Rails development
- A bachelors or masters degree in Computer Science or related
- Background or understanding of the Shipping Industry related to ecommerce
Skills and Knowledge:
- Able to implement full model-view-controller features in Rails.
- Understands API design and can help build an interface from the front or back end perspective.
- Able to write tests in Rspec
- Understands scaling considerations for large Ruby on Rails applications
- Analyze codebase to find root causes of errors and fix bugs as needed
- Ruby on Rails
- Redis / Elasticsearch
- Web Development Knowledge
Additional Position Duties: (The following is a list of what all employees, except those with medical accommodation, may be regularly required to do.)
- Sit for prolonged periods of time
- Utilize wrist and hands for a prolonged period of time
- Walk short distances
- Stand for short periods
- Speaking and conversing with others
- Lift up to 25lbs without assistance up to chest height
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled