Software Engineering Internship (Santa Barbara, CA)
This is for entry into ShipHawk's competitive Software Engineering Internship program. We're always on the lookout for great interns. During the school year, we ask that you be available to work at least 20 hrs/wk. Our summer internships are full time (40 hrs/wk).
- Through pair programming and mob programming, you'll get mentorship from more experienced engineers
- You will play an integral role in application development and complex problem solving
- We have a modern tech stack that features Ruby on Rails, AnguarJS, ReactJS, Docker, & more
Software with an Impact
You want to solve complex problems that have real impact. At ShipHawk, you will be confronted with real world problems that have never before been solved. You will be empowered to identify these problems, develop solutions and dive head first into the equation.
We aren't just solving difficult intellectual problems, we are also pushing the envelope in modern UI and UX to simplify extremely complex industry business rules to bring transparency to the entire transportation and logistics industry.
Technology has been applied to shipping before. But not like this. ShipHawk is one of the only truly disruptive companies playing in an absolutely massive market - second only to the energy industry at $1.4 Trillion annually.
In addition to standard development skills, we're looking for you to have a super analytical/engineering type mind and enjoy solving complex packaging and shipping problems. For example: say you have a bunch of boxes of different sizes. You'll have to determine whether the boxes can fit on a pallet, and what the best way is to arrange them. If you say: no problem, give me multiple pallets and a weight and orientation constraint, then we want to talk to you!
Desired Skills & Experience:
We are looking for an individual who has a high aptitude for software development, has developed scalable backend services and has an agile approach to problem solving.
- Experience with Web Apps
- Experience with our current technology stack is a bonus: Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, Git, Postgres, CSS
- Shipping/transportation industry experience is a bonus
In addition we want the usual skill set: efficient, organized and follows through on commitments. You're intelligent, have great analytical skills and pay attention to detail. In addition, you're calm under pressure, have a great work ethic and communicate well.
But, more than the usual skills, we want you to push and not accept the mundane. Push for a higher standard. Be proactive. Be open to new ideas and personal feedback. Try stuff, fail and learn from it.
5 Reasons Why You Want to Work with Us:
- You want to work with a team that is competent, confident, passionate, and focused on achieving big goals.
- You want to work on a product that is rapidly growing month to month.
- You want to have a voice and a say in the direction of the company, the code you build and what you do.
- You want to be part of a fun and healthy culture.
- You want to work at a company that will provide an opportunity to get to the next level of development.
Perks and Benefits:
- Company subsidized lunches delivered daily from great local restaurants
- Free bagels, english muffins, and fresh fruit provided every morning
- An assortment of free beverages including La Croix, Coke products, coffee, and hot tea
- Flexible scheduling
- Team activities, featuring events such as happy hours, bbqs, and hackdays (aka Hawk-a-thons!)
- Casual work environment: A t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops are standard attire for our team. We also have ping pong, Nerf battles, and team members are encouraged to duck outside for the occasional run, workout, or surf session
- Dog-friendly office: We happily welcome our well-behaved canine friends
- Location: Enjoy a stellar view of the Santa Ynez mountains from our offices, located in beautiful Goleta, CA. We are just 10 minutes north of downtown Santa Barbara and minutes away from the Beach, restaurants, Santa Barbara Airport and UCSB