At ShipEngine— we liberate entrepreneurs of all scales from inefficiencies and complexities in logistics, so they can focus more on what they love: designing their store experiences, building businesses, and engaging with their customers. We solve mind-boggling problems at scale but our passion is really for entrepreneurs and their customers. This has made us the market leader in the eCommerce shipping and logistics space with hundreds of millions of orders and shipments every month.
This is an exciting position to lead a team that will be building a brand-new greenfield product. Our stack includes cutting-edge web development technologies, like Node.js, Next.js, React, and Tailwind UI.
We’re looking for a lead engineer who has extensive full-stack web development expertise and is eager to fully own an important product and lead a team to deliver it successfully and maintain and improve it over time. The right candidate will be a technical expert who is unfazed by ambiguity and can be relied upon to make well-informed decisions while effectively navigating trade-offs. As team lead, you will help shape the team culture, mentor junior developers, plan, assign, and review work, and participate in long-term product development and roadmap discussions.
- Be an active contributor during design and implementation phases of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Apply software engineering best practices while modifying/enhancing our software platform.
- Attend and contribute to design review meetings
- Offering input into the designs of product enhancements and third party integrations and documenting designs
- Actively documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Collaborate with other members of the software engineering team to develop shipping software products
- Working closely with other developers and product managers throughout the SDLC
- Being responsible for the design and implementation of new product features and enhancements with guidance and input from other team members
- Writing tests to support any source code changes made by this individual, performing code reviews, and related activities that contribute to development and maintenance of the Auctane software.
- Constructively engage with team members and management through open and active communication channels when problem solving and developing solutions, recommending changes in policies, procedures, and tooling.
- Produce specifications as needed to determine operational feasibility and convey ROI projections of proposed solutions
- Provide feedback to the team on product improvement ideas
- Organize/catalog common problems and other pain points encountered by customers as well as ideas regarding improvements to common processes/workflows of Auctane users. These artifacts will ultimately serve as a starting point for conversations with product management in terms of needs and prioritization.
- Mentor to other members of the team
- Active learner to update/improve job knowledge and share learnings with other team members by studying new development tools, programming techniques, and computing paradigms and reading professional publications.
- Supports and develops team members by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Leads by example through consistent actions and behaviors conducive to meeting business and organizational commitments/goals.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information System, or equivalent years of relevant work experience
- At least seven (7) years of experience in software development role, preferably within the eCommerce or shipping software industries.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Has several years of web development experience with a variety of client-side and server-side frameworks
- Has a strong Node.js background and is extremely familiar with the ecosystem, build tools, libraries, runtimes, and frameworks
- Is proficient with build tools such as Webpack, Rollup, Babel, and TypeScript
- Understands web development patterns, like progressive enhancement and responsive design
- Has a strong desire to take ownership and influence the product direction
- Is a technical expert who can make well-informed design decisions and evangelize best practices within the company
- Wants to spend most of their time coding, but is happy to do the non-coding work required to lead a team and deliver a product
- Has experience managing project work using application lifecycle management tools like Jira, Trello, Aha, etc.
- Detail oriented with strong organization skills
- Curious and driven with a problem-solving approach
- Demonstrates strong communication and team skills including the ability to work with people possessing a variety of skill sets
- Familiarity with shipping and/or shipping software is a plus
- Displays a high degree of professionalism and contributes to the credibility of the company
- Can be productive and self-motivated in a fast paced, highly collaborative environment
- Uses time efficiently, possesses a solid work ethic and customer-focus
- Acts with a sense of urgency, especially where customer impact and/or delays to shipping exists
- High degree of intellectual curiosity and a thirst for knowledge - we're always looking for ways to improve our processes while continuing to produce high quality solutions for our customers
- Webpack, Rollup, Babel and Typescript
- Experience with project management tools like; Jira, Trello, Aha, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled