Business Development Apprenticeship Program
SkillBridge, Career Skills Program & Veteran / Military Spouse Apprenticeship / On-The-Job Training
Shift is a career advancement company for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members to veterans, Shift's community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift's talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Shift is delivering a world-class paid OJL Apprenticeship for transitioning military, veterans, and military spouses that will develop future leaders in the fields of Business Development, Strategic Partnerships, and B2B Technology Sales. This 12-month program includes an intensive 12-week training period, and an additional 9 months of on-the-job training. The training program will be led from Nashville, TN but Apprentices can be based remotely in the US.
Upon successful completion of the program, you’ll earn a “Journeyworker Credential” recognized by the US Department of Labor. Furthermore, participants will be ready to assume full-time roles in the following areas at Shift directly or it’s partner companies actively hiring military talent:
- Business Development Representative (BDR)
- Business Development Manager
- Account Executive (Inside Sales Representative)
- Inside Sales Manager
- Customer Success Manager
- Strategic Partnerships Associate
- Sales Operations Associate
- Sales Training & Enablement Associate
Our goal is to attract, train and grow our team organically at Shift, while providing a world class training apprenticeship program for US military members looking to launch their careers.
Why Will this Program Launch Your Career?
- You’ll gain highly transferable skills: ⅓ of CEOs come from a sales background
- Tech Sales is not “traditional sales:” It’s solution based problem-solving that drives innovation
- Career opportunities are endless: You alone can take control of what you do next
- You’ll be exposed to a network that will last a lifetime: You can leverage anyone at anytime
- Smooth transition to the modern workforce: Shift is a modern workforce, created by prior military for military members
Cohort: Starts January 24, 2022 - 15 to 20 Apprentices
Training Program Details
12-Week Training Overview:
- Led by our in-house team of experienced trainers with proven track records, you’ll hear from different industry experts each week on various topics along with learning real life skills you’ll need to succeed in any modern work environment.
- Skills include Salesforce.com Training, Sales Engagement Platform Training, Social Selling 101, Business Acumen, Effective / Efficient Research Tactics, Network Building, Presentation training, Internal / External Communication, Cadence Structuring, Objection Handling, How to deliver Value with authenticity and confidence, and much more.
- JB Sales Certification in “Filling the Funnel” will be issued to all participants and those who successfully complete the 12-week training will enter into the 9-month Shift BDR portion.
9-Month Shift Business Development Representative Overview:
- A BDR is a critical function within Shift’s talent services department. Responsibilities include creating new business opportunities with companies who are looking to implement a veteran hiring initiative, while continuing to develop through a formalized career path.
- Evaluations are quarterly & based on quantitative targets and qualitative competencies:
- Process Oriented / Time Management
- Critical Thinking / Solutions Oriented
- Resilience / Adaptability
- Communication / Presentation
- Quantitative targets are Results Oriented metrics important to the growth of Shift’s B2B new business sales initiatives to get more companies hiring veterans
- Qualitative competency skills that our participants will continue to evolve are:
- After each evaluation, top performers could receive Level 1 promotion offers at Shift. Performers who are not meeting expectations will be on a Performance Improvement Plan.
- Level 1 Promotions at Shift must be earned quantitatively and qualitatively.
- JB Sales Certification in “Driving to Close” will be issued to all participants.
- 0-6 Months in 12-month Apprenticeship: $20/hr + bonus potential.
- 6-12 Months in 12-month Apprenticeship: $25/hr + bonus potential.
- *Eligible for Level 1 promotion in months 6-12: $130,000+
- *Eligible for Level 2 promotion after 1 year at Level 1: $160,000+
- Optional: Use of Post 9/11 GI Bill MHA Benefit. If eligible, you’ll receive 100% of your tax-free MHA during the first 6 months and 80% of your MHA during the second 6 months.
- $1,833 is the 2020/2021 national average, based on location, paid monthly*
- Quarterly bonus structure based on performance.
- Additional prize rewards for various competitions throughout the duration of the program.
- Shift Benefits Package upon eligibility, reference shift.org/careers for more information.
- Transitioning service members who are eligible for SkillBridge Internships.
- Disclaimer: SkillBridge interns cannot be paid while still on Active Duty status
- Military community members who are eligible for GI Bill Apprenticeship & On-The-Job Training programs (learn more at the VA website).
- Spouses and children getting benefits through either the Fry Scholarship or the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program
- Children getting transferred benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Ability to complete a full 12-week training period at a minimum between January 24, 2022 - April 15, 2022.
Acceptance Profile (Ticket to Entry):
- Stand out & grab our attention with your “Cover Letter Message” during application.
- How you heard of us - 1 sentence
- Summary of your experiences (your journey) - 1 paragraph
- How that relates to why you want to be apart of this program - 1 paragraph
- With a PS at the end to include a fun fact about yourself - 1 sentence
- Shift to Interview on the following competencies: Accountability, Coachability / Adaptability, Self-Driven / Mission-Driven, Natural Curiosity / Learning Mindset.
US based remote location of choice.
Contact: Shaun A. Krilanovich - Head of Sales Development & Enablement at Shift.org.