Shift is a mission-driven talent development company helping veterans find careers they deserve and love. We match great people to partner organizations through immersive fellowship and direct placement programs. Through skills translation, career coaching, and access to opportunities we power high-contrast career shifts. We are backed by terrific investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Structure Capital, Expa, BoxGroup, PeopleTech Partners and Tim Ferriss.
Discover. Transform. Grow.
Our Military Fellows Program is a 3-month fellowship for qualified service members during their final months of active duty service. Shift prepares candidates for fellowships that utilize their unique military experiences and facilitates the logistics of getting them situated in a new city and industry, with the goal of converting them into a full-time role.
We are looking for an experienced leader to join our mission as VP, Operations as we continue to scale our business and offerings. As a key member of our senior leadership team and reporting directly into our CEO, you will work collaboratively across the team to translate strategic roadmaps into clear business plans with established metrics and goals. You will work to optimize and improve our current processes, systems, and programs so that we can best meet our goals. Additionally, you will help drive new strategic program initiatives that continue to open more opportunities for the 250,000 service members transitioning out of the military every year. With your hands-on experience and deep knowledge in operations, you’ll allow us to hit our aggressive growth goals in 2020 and beyond.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Ownership over financial model: Work closely across the leadership team and company to make sure our financial model is in alignment and tracking against our goals. Assist business operations with month-end close and work with strategic contractors and investors as we close additional funding rounds
- Ownership over the operational components of Shift programs, to include Military Fellows, Shift Pathways, and other forthcoming initiatives.
- Establish and track metrics: From company wide KPIs to our sales model to our candidate support structure, you will help identify key metrics and make sure they are tracked and communicated internally in a way that moves us forward to meet our goals. Measure performance against metrics that balance speed and efficiency against the candidate and partnership experience. Rigorously measure the operational metrics and KPIs that help the organization make data-driven decisions.
- Revenue operations: Assist sales leadership in continuing to Implement operating rules of engagement across teams to ensure cross functional coordination, revenue recognition and alignment of KPIs
- Leadership: Work across the company to influence and partner on key initiatives, constantly looking for opportunities to optimize and streamline processes and programs. Lead a small but mighty team within business operations and special programming
- A strong and empathetic relationship to military service members and non-traditional talent; veterans highly-preferred
- A track record of working with with Software Engineering and Product teams
- Experience leading training sessions to ensure that the product is meeting user needs, and to ensure it is being used widely enough to have concrete impact
- Experience identifying relevant datasets through deep engagement with customer problems and workflows, and work with Software Engineers to integrate the data
- Project management experience (scope control, budgeting, estimating and resource management)
- Ability to propose creative solutions to challenging problems and communicate technical concepts and specifications clearly and efficiently
- A track record of quantitative decision-making and analytical problem solving
- Excellent communication skills with ability to lead and influence across multiple levels and multiple functions of an organization
- Low ego, entrepreneurial, and forward thinking mind-set
- A strong personal commitment to planning and execution over both short and long term time horizons
- Ability to triage and manage multiple, simultaneous projects within a growing start-up
- Experienced at establishing new processes and cadence within organizations
- Vendor and supply chain management experience, including contract negotiation and cost optimization
- Accountability: you accept responsibility for your actions and the commitments you make to others
- Empathy: you're sensitive to the feelings and experiences of others, and you actively seek out new perspectives
- Clarity: you desire to bring new understanding to long-standing problems. Similar to transparency, you seek to clarify when rationale or expectations are unclear
- Principled: you stand for something bigger than yourself
Perks & Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.