The Manager of Data Engineering reports to the VP of Engineering and is an experienced and knowledgeable data engineer who will manage the Data Engineering team at Shift. They and Data Engineering will work closely with Infrastructure Engineering to build and maintain our Data Pipelines. They will provide modernized and self-service data services to all internal data consumers, optimizing their offerings for teams like Business Analytics, Data Science and Product Management.
What You Will Do:
- Manage a team that designs, builds, and maintains all data tooling and storage infrastructure that exists across Shift.
- Manage the flow of analytics data from sources all the way through to reporting, ensuring that it is reliable and performant - monitoring and responding as necessary.
- Provide a self-service experience wherever possible for our internal data consumers - deploy training, mentor our analysts, and lead by example.
- Help Business Analysts migrate their constant volume of requests to self-service.
- Help design, build and maintain data pipelines for our data science team to independently develop features in a safe and efficient manner.
- Bring cutting-edge industry practices into our organization; convince stakeholders and peers of the value; implement these practices and measure impact.
What You Will Bring:
- 5+ years of experience managing and processing data in data warehouses, including building dimensional models that support core business reporting.
- 3+ years of Python programming experience including interacting with Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and Data Processing / Extraction Transform and Load Jobs (ETLs).
- 3+ years of experience maintaining ETL tools, such as Airflow or FiveTran.
- 3+ years of experience using and administering Looker.
- 3+ years of experience monitoring data pipelines, responding to issues and improving performance and reliability.
- 3+ years of experience with modern Software Development practices, including automated build, tests and deployment.
- 2+ years of experience utilizing Cloud-based Data Warehouses such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) RedShift or Google BigQuery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate project plans and progress with stakeholders across engineering.
- Understanding of web service fundamentals, such as HTTP/S, SSL/TLS, TCP/UDP, performance monitoring, caching, load balancing and logging.
- Demonstrates excellent team and cross-functional collaboration, exhibiting professionalism and empathy for other functional groups within the business.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Professional Experience supporting Machine Learning applications including development and deployment in the cloud.
- Professional Experience tuning PostgreSQL Databases for performance and scalability.
- Have built and maintained the architecture supporting data pipelines professionally.
- Have managed data dictionaries and implemented processes to ensure data quality professionally.
- Have experience deploying and managing data streaming pipelines based on messaging systems such as Kafka or AWS Kinesis.
We’re a tech company who has built an e-commerce marketplace for customers to buy and sell used cars, all while having an experience that is fun, fair and accessible. We’ve set out to transform a huge industry using cutting-edge technology, and bring transparency and convenience to the car buying and selling process.
We aren’t stopping there. We bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Shift prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Shift conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
So what does that mean?
Shift is committed to the belief that all individuals deserve uncompromising respect, and we recognize and celebrate each person's uniqueness and individuality. All of us together fabricate the DNA of what makes Shift such a collaborative, powerful, and authentic place to work.
Shift is dedicated to ensuring that diversity helps our employees, customers, vendors and communities reach their full potential. We strive to maintain a diverse workforce that represents and meets the needs of our customers and the communities where we work and live.