We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role:
Data Scientists at Shift build things that matter and have a material impact to the company’s bottom line and the customer’s experience. In this role, you will drive exciting, meaningful projects, and help define our technical and product strategy, you will have an opportunity to innovate. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out.
We’re looking for an experienced Sr. Data Scientist to help us build the world's best e-commerce and operations platform to drive car sales and acquisitions. As a senior technical leader, you are critical to our business and technical prowess. You will work directly with technical management at the company and raise the bar for Data Science and Machine Learning. You lead by example and foster a culture of technical excellence, humility and lifelong learning.
This is an opportunity to join a fantastic team at a hi-tech fast-paced Silicon Valley company which is transforming an entire industry. You will report to the Director of Data Science. We’d love to talk to you about what great things you’ll do here.
What you'll do:
- Be a key contributor to Shift’s tech stack and technical processes, working with engineers throughout the organization, partnering with Data Science and TechOps.
- Demonstrate best practices by delivering high quality results to business.
- Provide technical leadership for data scientists with supportive but candid feedback in code reviews and architecture documents.
- Participate in build v buy decisions.
- Participate in technical design, project planning and lead development of critical projects.
What we ask for:
- Passion for data, technology and people.
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Computational Biology, Econometrics.
- Practical data science experience with a deep technical background in supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods.
- Strong communicator - able to advocate data informed decision-making at all levels using visuals and narrative documents.
- Strong analytical capabilities to translate business problems into data science problems and implemented solutions.
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, AWS Athena, Redshift, Sisense, Looker, Tableau or others.
- Experience with deploying to AWS SageMaker.
- Mentored junior data scientists, led projects to the finishing line.
- Strong experience in SQL and programming in Python or R.
- Strong mathematical background or computer science.
- Advanced ability to perform exploratory data analysis
- Expert in Statistical Studies
Nice to have:
- Databrick experience
- Redshift experience
- Experience with monitoring and instrumentation tech and vendors such as Segment, New Relic, Datadog, Pingdom and PagerDuty.
Who We Are
At Shift, we’re all about growth - which means people who are eager to grow, who are ready to roll up their sleeves and learn new things. We were founded by a scrappy group of visionaries who were by no means “car experts” - so we don’t expect you to be one, either!
We’ll take the open-minded go-getter over the pure subject matter expert any day. In that spirit, we also care about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and company. To put it simply, cars are meant for everyone, so we believe our company should be, too. We never discriminate against any candidate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds and walks of life to apply, even if you’re unsure if you meet all the requirements. (Even if this particular role isn’t the right fit, chances are we will have the right one soon!)
Why Join Now?
Having gone public in October 2020, we are at the beginning of our journey and hope you join us for the ride! Shift is a leading end-to-end auto e-commerce platform transforming the used car industry with a technology-driven, hassle-free customer experience. Shift’s mission is to make buying or selling a used car fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We provide comprehensive, digital solutions throughout the car ownership lifecycle: finding the right car, having a test drive brought to you before buying the car, a seamless digitally-driven purchase transaction including financing and vehicle protection products, an efficient, digital trade-in/sale transaction, and a vision to provide high-value support services during car ownership.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.