We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role:
Engineers at Shift build things that matter. Every engineer works on exciting, meaningful projects, and defines our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out. We’re looking for experienced full stack engineers to build and design world-class software with us. This is an opportunity to join a fantastic team at a company with the potential to transform an entire industry.
The Engineering team is composed of smaller, full-stack two-pizza teams. Groups of teams focus on different areas of the business such as the shopping experience, the selling experience, and internal operations. When you interview here, we’ll help determine the right fit based on your interests.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Shift, you’ll get to work on interesting consumer-facing problems and build industry-defining tools which power our internal teams. You will get the opportunity to work across various teams and leave your impact on multiple areas of the business.
What you'll do:
- Participate in technical design, project planning and lead development of critical projects.
- Present possible solutions to challenging business problems. Some of these have never been tackled by anyone before, you get to do that.
- Work with product management, design and other engineers to determine the best way to implement solutions.
- Deliver high quality testable and maintainable code.
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes. All ideas welcome.
- Help and mentor other team members and collaborate as part of a team.
What we ask for:
- An undying passion for computers, web technologies and an optimistic attitude to make things better.
- 5+ years building production quality software for the web.
- Experience working directly with PMs and multiple stakeholders to design solutions to customer, business, and operational problems.
- Experience with relational databases like MySql, Postgres, RDS etc. Strong Postgres experience will set you apart.
- BS, MS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
Nice to have:
- We have a strong preference to hire Rails engineers
- Experience working in e-commerce or at a consumer tech company.
- Experience working on a team with a strong consumer focus.
- Experience with A/B testing and experimentation.
Who We Are
At Shift, we’re all about growth - which means people who are eager to grow, who are ready to roll up their sleeves and learn new things. We were founded by a scrappy group of visionaries who were by no means “car experts” - so we don’t expect you to be one, either!
We’ll take the open-minded go-getter over the pure subject matter expert any day. In that spirit, we also care about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and company. To put it simply, cars are meant for everyone, so we believe our company should be, too. We never discriminate against any candidate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds and walks of life to apply, even if you’re unsure if you meet all the requirements. (Even if this particular role isn’t the right fit, chances are we will have the right one soon!)
Why Join Now?
Having gone public in October 2020, we are at the beginning of our journey and hope you join us for the ride! Shift is a leading end-to-end auto e-commerce platform transforming the used car industry with a technology-driven, hassle-free customer experience. Shift’s mission is to make buying or selling a used car fun, fair, and accessible to everyone.
We provide comprehensive, digital solutions throughout the car ownership lifecycle: finding the right car, having a test drive brought to you before buying the car, a seamless digitally-driven purchase transaction including financing and vehicle protection products, an efficient, digital trade-in/sale transaction, and a vision to provide high-value support services during car ownership.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.