We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At SHIFT, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go. We’ve recently entered the public markets (Nasdaq: SFT) and are experiencing rapid growth. This is a great opportunity to join a hyper growth company changing an industry!
Who We Are
At Shift, we’re all about growth - which means people who are eager to grow, who are ready to roll up their sleeves and learn new things. We were founded by a scrappy group of visionaries who were by no means “car experts” - so we don’t expect you to be one, either! We’ll take the open-minded go-getter over the pure subject matter expert any day. In that spirit, we also care about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and company. To put it simply, cars are meant for everyone, so we believe our company should be, too. We never discriminate against any candidate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds and walks of life to apply, even if you’re unsure if you meet all the requirements. (Even if this particular role isn’t the right fit, chances are we will have the right one soon!)
About the role:
Engineers at Shift build things that matter. Every engineer works on exciting, meaningful projects, and defines our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out. We’re looking for experienced full stack engineers to build and design world-class software with us. This is an opportunity to join a fantastic team at a company with the potential to transform an entire industry.
Our Seller Tribe takes pride in creating a fast, convenient, and fair way for anyone to sell a car. The teams in our Seller Tribe are responsible for the experience for customers to get an estimate on their car all the way to a customer handing over their keys to Shift! This responsibility includes our web and mobile car estimate experience, pricing algorithms, our offer management dashboard, the tools that power our internal teams to serve customers in evaluation and pickup, and the payment experience. As a Senior Software Engineer in the Seller Tribe, you will be working across the teams in the Seller Tribe to architect, plan, and build these awesome selling experiences for our customers.
What you'll do:
- Participate in technical design, project planning and lead development of critical projects.
- Work with the seller team product manager to determine the best way to implement new features.
- Deliver high quality testable and maintainable code.
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes.
- Help and mentor other team members and collaborate as part of a team.
What we ask for:
- 5+ years of experience building production quality software for the web.
- Experience working directly with PMs and multiple stakeholders to design solutions to customer, business, and operational problems.
- Strong experience designing and leading projects that are executed by you and your team.
- Strong technical communication skills with the ability to explain complex solutions in simple ways.
- Experience with relational databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, RDS etc. Strong PostgreSQL experience will set you apart.
- Experience developing single page applications and server-side rendered web-apps. You should know when to use which approach and be able to teach others. Good to have experience with React, jQuery, Vue.js, Next.js, or others. Typescript experience will set you apart.
- BS, MS and/or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in e-commerce or at a consumer tech company.
- Experience working on a team with a strong consumer focus.
- Experience with A/B testing and experimentation.
At Shift, we’re all about growth - which means people who are eager to grow, who are ready to roll up their sleeves and learn new things. We were founded by a scrappy group of visionaries who were by no means “car experts” - so we don’t expect you to be one, either!
We’ll take the open-minded go-getter over the pure subject matter expert any day. In that spirit, we also care about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and company. To put it simply, cars are meant for everyone, so we believe our company should be, too. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds and walks of life to apply, even if you’re unsure if you meet all the requirements. (Even if this particular role isn’t the right fit, chances are we will have the right one soon!)
Why Join Now?
Having gone public in October 2020, we are at the beginning of our journey and hope you join us for the ride! Shift is a leading end-to-end auto e-commerce platform transforming the used car industry with a technology-driven, hassle-free customer experience. Shift’s mission is to disrupt the old, outdated car purchasing and selling models, and you can be a part of driving this innovation into the industry with us!
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.