We’re a tech company who has built an ecommerce marketplace for customers to buy and sell used cars, all while having an experience that is fun, fair and accessible. We’ve set out to transform a huge industry using cutting-edge technology, and bring transparency and convenience to the car buying and selling process.
We aren’t stopping there. We bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role:
Engineers at Shift build things that matter and have a material impact to the company’s bottom line and the customer’s experience. In this role, you will drive exciting, meaningful projects, and help define our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out.
We’re looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineers to help us build the world's best e-commerce and operations platform to drive car sales. As a senior technical leader, you are critical to our business and technical prowess. Some of the problems we're solving are ones that no one else is solving right now! We are trail blazing in this fascinating new, hot industry!
On top of tackling interesting technical and product challenges at a high growth company, you'll get to work with a strong engineering org. We strive to provide guidance and mentorship from our most senior engineers while still enabling individual teams to take on and own complex technical problems.
There is so much to discover, learn and do.
This is an opportunity to join a fantastic team at a hi-tech fast-paced Silicon Valley company which is transforming an entire industry.
What you'll do:
- Be a key contributor to Shift’s tech stack and technical processes, working with engineers throughout the organization, partnering with Data Science and TechOps.
- Demonstrate best practices by delivering high quality testable maintainable code.
- Provide technical leadership for engineers with supportive but candid feedback in code reviews and architecture documents.
- Get core technology projects on the company roadmap.
- Contribute to cross-team decisions to advance the tech stack and improve development velocity, quality, performance, and security.
- Participate in build v buy decisions.
- Participate in technical design, project planning and lead development of critical projects.
What we ask for:
- An undying passion for computers, web technologies and an optimistic attitude to make things better.
- 10+ years building technically complex software for the web.
- Experience with Ruby and/or Go. Varied experience with functional and object oriented programming in many languages such as Go, Python, C/C++, Java, PHP.
- Experience developing SPAs and server-side rendered web-apps. You should know when to use which approach and be able to teach others. React, Typescript and jQuery experience will set you apart.
- Strong experience with Postgres.
- Experience with deploying to AWS, GCP and using CDNs.
- Experience with monitoring and instrumentation tech and vendors such as Segment, New Relic, Datadog, Pingdom and PagerDuty.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in e-commerce.
- Experience building a platform.
- Familiarity with CRMs such as Salesforce Sales Cloud.
- Familiarity with frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or Revel.
- Experience working at a startup.
Who We Are
At Shift, we’re all about growth - which means people who are eager to grow, who are ready to roll up their sleeves and learn new things. We were founded by a scrappy group of visionaries who were by no means “car experts” - so we don’t expect you to be one, either!
We’ll take the open-minded go-getter over the pure subject matter expert any day. In that spirit, we also care about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and company. To put it simply, cars are meant for everyone, so we believe our company should be, too. We never discriminate against any candidate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds and walks of life to apply, even if you’re unsure if you meet all the requirements. (Even if this particular role isn’t the right fit, chances are we will have the right one soon!)
Why Join Now?
Having gone public in October 2020, we are at the beginning of our journey and hope you join us for the ride! Shift is a leading end-to-end auto e-commerce platform transforming the used car industry with a technology-driven, hassle-free customer experience. Shift’s mission is to make buying or selling a used car fun, fair, and accessible to everyone.
We provide comprehensive, digital solutions throughout the car ownership lifecycle: finding the right car, having a test drive brought to you before buying the car, a seamless digitally-driven purchase transaction including financing and vehicle protection products, an efficient, digital trade-in/sale transaction, and a vision to provide high-value support services during car ownership.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.