We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role
Data is core to this transformation, from building best-in-class pricing, to loan decisioning, to logistics optimization, to in-product recommendations. If you’re passionate about using data to fix an enormous, antiquated industry, you’ll fit right in.
Millions of cars are bought and sold in the US every year, but knowing exactly how much your car is worth is a challenge. We believe that fixing the used car industry requires providing customers with fair, detailed pricing reports in beautiful, easy-to-understand interfaces. By combining as much data as we can get our hands on, from the millions of listings available online, to car auction sales, to every vehicle’s specific repair history, we’re building the most accurate, transparent pricing tool in the industry.
As a two-sided marketplace, serving both car buyers and sellers, our vehicle data and pricing models are core to the business. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will have direct and immediate impact on the success of the company. Initial projects will include exploring data, building models, informing product decisions, overseeing experiments, and collaborating closely with engineers on our pricing team. Over time, you’ll play a crucial role in growing and mentoring a team of data scientists that will be involved in nearly every initiative at Shift, including lead scoring, user acquisition, optimal resource allocation, vehicle routing, and more.
What you'll do:
- Build models from the ground up - from data exploration to feature engineering, to model development + optimization, and deployment into production
- Design rigorous experiments and interpret results to draw actionable conclusions
- Work cross-functionally with team leaders (in Engineering, Product, Operations, Marketing, etc.) to explain your analysis and make recommendations
- Facilitate objective decision making across the company by democratizing data through dashboards and other analytical tools
What we ask for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or other quantitative field; advanced degree a plus
- 4+ years of industry experience in a quantitative analysis role
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques, especially deep understanding for their benefits and drawbacks in real-world applications
- Excellent statistical intuition derived from practical, hands-on experience
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience writing efficient SQL
- Excellent communication skills that you’ve leveraged to influence product and leadership teams
- Curiosity, desire to learn, passion for providing a great product to customers
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.