You already ♥ us
Shearer’s is a privately held producer, co-manufacturer and distributor of quality snack foods sold under the Shearer’s brand, and other private labels. As a matter of fact, Shearers is the number one producer of kettle cooked chips in the world! As the leader in North America, we private label and co-manufacture salty snacks and we are the second largest producer of cookies and crackers. We utilize our manufacturing expertise to serve as a strategic supplier to our partners, who are nationally recognized retail and restaurant brands. So, while you may not be familiar with our name, you likely eat the products we make on a regular basis. With exceptional competence in product development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution, we continue to realize significant growth in each segment of our business. Headquartered in Massillon, Ohio, we have over 5,000 associates in 11 state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution sites in North America. You can visit our website at www.Shearers.com .
Night Shift (1st Shift) - 12:00 AM - 8:00 AM
Your seat at the table
Summary: The successful candidate will be responsible for key setup and operation of packaging machines for daily shift production. This includes monitoring machine operations during production processes for adjustments, troubleshooting complications of machinery and reporting directly to the Maintenance Team when needed. The Packing Lead will also be responsible for safely meeting all through-puts and waste reduction goals while continually keep the work area clean, ensuring product food safety and preventing product cross contaminants. The Packing Lead will also work as part of a team proactively providing assistance to other members and adhere to company policies, procedures, GMPs, and Rules of Safety.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
One Hour Prior to Shift Change:
- Check staffing for the day (vacations, call ins, etc.)
- Check MIP for all lines
- Use pounds calculator (K CARD) to document line capacity for the day and staffing needed to maximize line capability, determine any c/o’s that will occur during shift and time it will occur
- Make a staffing list for the shift assign packaging team members to machines utilizing skills (small bags, c/o’s ,etc.)
- Check maintenance PM schedule
- Meet with exiting shift lead, do floor walk and shift handoff of any issues from prior shift, make sure all areas are clean and in good safe condition for oncoming shift.
- 20 minutes prior to shift start meet with all shift PMO’s- go over K Card and staffing for the day any attributes for the line and safety concerns.
- Shift handoff meeting and TIER 1 board accountability
- Change Over preparation (get chemical, PPE, and stage to ensure less downtime to get started)
- Hourly line walks, assisting with any staffing moves needed, monitoring GMP’s, ensuring breaks are getting completed on a timely manner, assisting with any other line issues.
- Keep track of line issues, downtime, encourage teamwork,
- Floor Rounds- Processing – check moisture & oil, weights, slice thickness, etc.
- Floor rounds- Packaging- check bagger speeds (to setpoint), check bag seals, check PMO in process checks, monitor pounds produced.
- Ensure floor cleanliness
- Rework is being performed (when applicable)
- Assist line with any issues throughout shift
- Ensuring no breaks occur during C/O’s
1 hour prior to end of shift:
- Meet with oncoming shift leaders and cover any safety, machine concerns. Ensure line cleanliness and do floor walk.
- Keep a list of overtime rotation, and leave early, day off. With shift members to ensure procedure is followed.
- Engage new members, track all trainings with onboarding members and promotions.
- Responsible for making sure the proper product is going into the package.
- Inspects filled container to ensure that product is packaged according to specifications.
- Feeds product to conveyors, hoppers, or other feeding devices, and unloads packaged product.
- Replenishes packaging supplies such as wrapping paper and code tape.
- Mounts supplies on spindles or places supplies in hopper or other feeding devices.
- Turning in a package immediately to Quality Assurance Department at the beginning of a production run.
- Makes minor adjustments or repairs to packaging machines,
- Write work orders for any repairs/maintenance needs during non-production hours.
What you bring to the table
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will also have strong interpersonal, communication, teamwork, time management and organizational skills, will be highly motivated, self-directed and accountable, and will have the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff across the organization. This candidate will need to be able to drive production, troubleshoot and provide encouragement and motivation.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to associates and leadership team when necessary.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: Required to stand long periods of time, walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and lift up to 75lbs.
We Offer a Feast of Benefits
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!