You already ♥ us
Shearer’s is a privately held producer, co-manufacturer and distributor of quality snack foods sold under the Shearer’s brand, and other private labels. As a matter of fact, Shearers is the number one producer of kettle cooked chips in the world! As the leader in North America, we private label and co-manufacture salty snacks and we are the second largest producer of cookies and crackers. We utilize our manufacturing expertise to serve as a strategic supplier to our partners, who are nationally recognized retail and restaurant brands. So, while you may not be familiar with our name, you likely eat the products we make on a regular basis. With exceptional competence in product development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution, we continue to realize significant growth in each segment of our business. Headquartered in Massillon, Ohio, we have over 5,000 associates in 11 state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution sites in North America. You can visit our website at www.Shearers.com .
Bakery Technical Manager
As a Bakery Technical Manager supporting Shearer’s facilities you will be responsible for providing technical and applied expertise and leadership in the areas of food science, improve food formulas and processes at the local level, food regulations, statistics, problem solving, and continuous improvement projects to meet consumer and regulatory expectations. This includes working with customers, suppliers, corporate personnel, and manufacturing staff. The contributor has daily executional responsibilities, special project management duties, and supervisory accountability to ensure proper food safety and product consistency.
A role of the Bakery Technical Manager is to assure full and consistent compliance with the Companies Policies with regards to Customer Satisfaction, the Principles of SQF (Safe Quality Foods) and Regulatory Requirements. All associates are responsible to report food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action. In the absence of the Bakery Technical Manager, the Senior Operations Manager will be responsible for these duties.
Your seat at the table
- Training and development in Mixing, Baking, and Packaging.
- Supervise facility testing procedures to ensure that analysis methods are accurately followed.
- Improve and maintain a systematic sampling of in-process and finished product using acceptable techniques.
- Verify daily monitoring of information and provide technical expertise in troubleshooting product quality and food safety issues.
- Lead and provide technical support, using a Plan, Do, Check, Act methodology, for stakeholders identifying and implementing process and quality improvement projects.
- Maintain records of all tests performed and provide appropriate reports or copies to management.
- Develop and utilize master plant systems (e.g. InfinityQS, HACCP etc.) to execute trending of daily test records.
- Interact with all plant functions, suppliers, Corporate, governmental agencies and external auditors; providing back-up support to Quality Manager on all key functions.
- Develop action plans with Manufacturing, Product Development, Engineering and Quality Assurance teams to insure that product specifications, analytical procedures, sampling programs and control systems are appropriate and meet system capability and key consumer / customer requirements.
- Solve in-house quality issues; review non-conforming product and recommend disposition within facility cross-functional teams.
- Prepare procedures and methods in coordination with Operations for sanitation, GMP compliance, quality, and process control.
- Assist with development and maintenance of FSMA Food Safety plans, documentation, and verification.
- Coordinate and facilitate training for all facility employees in the areas of GMPs, food regulations, facility FSP, analytical testing, lab practices, auditing, SPC, problem solving, quality system execution (e.g. InfinityQS GMPs etc.) and other quality tools to ensure execution and appropriate documentation of quality management systems.
- Monitor established programs for incoming raw ingredients in the areas of product rotation, sampling frequency, sample testing, and reporting of data to management to assure conformance to specifications.
- Partner with Supply Chain to investigate and evaluate supplier quality issues, raw material quality incidents, and supplier corrective actions.
- Verify and monitor suppliers and/or buyers quality attributes, trends, corrective actions and developing issues using SPC tools to ensure compliance to finished good specifications.
- Provide risk assessment analysis.
- Serve as a key statistical process methods resource.
- Prepare, and analyze various quality data and reports such as product release, quality metrics, and hold reports.
- Works with Supply Chain on supplier quality issues, investigating raw material quality incidents, and evaluating supplier corrective actions.
What you bring to the table
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Food Engineering or related field.
- Understanding of food safety, FSMA, SQF/GFSI and basic food regulatory requirements.
- ASQ certified Quality Engineer and / or Six Sigma Green Belt preferred.
- HACCP, PCQI or other food safety certification preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in Quality Engineering, Quality Assurance, or manufacturing. 8-10 yrs. experience highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good knowledge of statistics and statistical process control (SPC).
- Good understanding of the theory and functionality of manufacturing operations.
- Knowledge of sensory methods, food science, food safety and sanitation are desired.
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn technical software. Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs with strong Excel skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with demonstrated influence management skills. Comfortable in small group and large group settings.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding of process measurement and controls; demonstrated ability to apply statistical, problem-solving and decision making tools.
- Must be detail oriented take initiative and able to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative.
- Ability to solve problems ranging from basic to complex, especially related to risk assessment.
- Ability to develop positive relationships and work cross functionally.
- Proven people management and delegation skills with the ability to train others.
We Offer a Feast of Benefits
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!
Note: Shearer’s does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Shearer’s is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.