Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Molecular Assay Engineering
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong passion for learning to join the growing Research team as Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Molecular Assay Engineering with the Cell and Vector Engineering team. In this role, the successful candidate will aid in the performance, optimization, and development of a range of critical nucleic acid-based methods that are needed to drive Shape’s gene therapy payload and delivery vehicle programs. Examples include but are not limited to; de novo small RNA payload detection, RNA editing quantitation, novel QC method development, and novel Next Generation/Nanopore Sequencing method development. Depending on bandwidth, tasks will range from optimization and documentation of existing protocols to development of new methods. An ideal candidate will have broad molecular assay experience, as well as a collaborative spirit and a desire to work on a team in a fast-paced startup environment. By bringing subject matter expertise, a rigorous experimental style and a collaborative spirit to the company, your work will underpin and enable multiple high value R&D efforts across ShapeTX.
What You’ll Do:
- Contribute to RNA editing payload programs through small RNA detection and RNA editing quantitation methods
- Contribute to novel AAV capsid discovery through NGS-based profiling of in vivo selected AAV libraries
- Perform, optimize, and validate protocols for cell/tissue sample preparation, NGS library preparation, and nucleic acid QC assays
- Keep an organized and detailed electronic laboratory notebook and build and contribute to a company-wide online methods repository
- Analyze data promptly to clearly depict and communicate results
- Effectively organize time and resources to meet deadlines
- Optimization and improvement of laboratory systems (e.g. - molecular methods, downstream analysis, sample storage & handling, data gathering and transmission, etc.)
What You Bring:
- BS/MS in molecular/cellular biology or other relevant scientific discipline
- 1-3 years of NGS and/or nucleic-acid based technology experience in an academic or industry setting
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude
- Strong demonstrated ability to troubleshoot in both wet and dry lab
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with benchtop sterile technique
- Familiarity with qPCR and ddPCR principles
- Experience with column & bead-based purification of DNA and RNA
- Experience in downstream molecular assay data analysis, statistical methods, & results interpretation
- Strong work ethic and a team player
- Experience with automated liquid handlers is a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate via email, interpersonally, and in presentations
- Demonstrates initiative, proactively looks for ways to improve processes
- Exquisite attention to detail and organization
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one-week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for the Research Associate role is $61,000-$83,000, and the salary range for the Senior Research Associate is $72,000-$98,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.