Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing breakthrough gene therapy technologies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. ShapeTX gene therapy platform comprises RNAskip™, RNAfix™, and RNAswap™ payload technologies, next-generation tissue-specific AAVid™ delivery technology, and SquareBio, a solution to scalable gene therapy manufacturing based on industrialization of human stable cell lines. At the core of these technologies reside ShapeTX AI analytic platform, where data drives decisions in building technology today to enable gene therapies of tomorrow. ShapeTX is committed to data-driven scientific advancement, passionate people, and a mission of providing life-long cures to patients. Shape Life!
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a molecular biologist with strong synthetic biology and library cloning experience to join the Platform Technologies team as Associate/Senior Associate Scientist, AAV Engineering. In this position, the successful candidate will join the AAV Engineering team and develop workflows that allow ShapeTX to discover powerful new gene therapy vectors through massively diverse in vivo screening of AAV capsid variants. The ideal candidate will have significant experience performing a variety of cloning techniques, including library assemblies. Candidates should have demonstrated experience in troubleshooting and improving cloning methods. To enable these key experimental workflows, you will help maintain lab organization through a diligent and detail oriented working style. In addition, scientific creativity, a collaborative spirit, and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment are essential.
Title and compensation will be commensurate with level of experience.
Roles and Responsibilities may include:
- Contribute to novel AAV capsid discovery through construction of AAV libraries
- Optimize and develop improved molecular biology methods
- Apply libraries to in vivo and in vitro models to evaluate capsid performance (tropism, biodistribution, production, etc.)
- Design and perform in vivo and in vitro validation experiments on lead designs
- Work with disease biology leads to design and execute a delivery strategy for disease programs
- Develop and deploy cutting-edge library engineering technologies
- Keep organized and detailed records using an electronic laboratory notebook
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Molecular Biology, Virology, Genomics or a related discipline
- 3+ years of laboratory experience in an academic or industry setting
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Broad molecular biology expertise
- Experience with a variety of cloning techniques (restriction enzyme cloning, Gibson Assembly, Golden Gate Assembly, etc.)
- Experience with library assembly (e.g. CRISPR, MPRA, siRNA, Phage, or other similar libraries)
- Experience optimizing library cloning and NGS validation
- Possession of a high degree of energy, flexibility, motivation and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.