Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing breakthrough gene therapy technologies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. ShapeTX gene therapy platform comprises RNAskip™, RNAfix™, and RNAswitch™ payload technologies, next-generation tissue-specific AAVid™ delivery technology, and SquareBio, a solution to scalable gene therapy manufacturing based on industrialization of human stable cell lines. At the core of these technologies reside ShapeTX AI analytic platform, where data drives decisions in building technology today to enable gene therapies of tomorrow. ShapeTX is committed to data-driven scientific advancement, passionate people, and a mission of providing life-long cures to patients. Shape Life!
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a Senior Research Associate/Associate Scientist with a background in molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, and next-generation sequencing to join our Technology Development team in Cambridge, MA to support the engineering of molecules for targeted RNA editing. In this position, the successful candidate will advance technology development across ShapeTx's novel gene therapy platforms, adopting cutting-edge methods to create higher-throughput, lower-volume, multiplexed, and automated assays. The ideal candidate will have experience in high throughput screening methods, molecular and cell biology, next-generation sequencing, and cell-line engineering. Attention to detail, innovation, and eagerness to learn new technologies are essential.
ShapeTx's RNAfix platform seeks to redirect the body's existing RNA editing enzymes to cure genetic diseases. Unlike Crispr / Cas9, which employs a bacterial protein for DNA editing and may induce an immune response and off-target DNA damage, RNAfix repurposes the natural human ADAR pathway for RNA editing. We are a rapidly growing company following a successful $112 million Series B round and $3 billion partnership with Roche. Check out the team’s recent advances that were highlighted at the ASGCT conference in 2021.
What you’ll do to contribute to our success:
- Execute high throughput screening methods to evaluate guide RNAs for therapeutic RNA editing, including: gene synthesis; cloning plasmid libraries; stable transfection of cultured cells; RNA purification; amplification of target genes by qPCR and droplet digital PCR; Next-Generation Sequencing; Split-pool single-cell barcoding
- Design and plan well-controlled experiments. Seek opportunities to improve our current protocols and workflows. Troubleshoot as needed to find creative and innovative solutions.
- Assist with lab operations as needed (setting up new lab space, consumables ordering, equipment maintenance)
- Support and collaborate on multiple disease projects in a fast-paced startup environment, working across teams at ShapeTx.
- Interpret and communicate results to team members to drive key decisions and future experiments.
The skills and experience you’ll need to succeed in this position:
- Highly experienced in molecular biology techniques (e.g. RNA / DNA purification and analysis, plasmid cloning, qPCR, ddPCR) with particular competence handling RNA and NGS libraries.
- Experience preparing libraries for Next Generation Sequencing.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and transfection; fluorescent microsopy and flow cytometry preferred.
- Attention to detail, diligent record-keeping, organization, and timely results.
- Excellent communication skills and a team-oriented mind set.
- A track record of solving complex problems with innovative solutions.
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry or related discipline.
- 4+ years of research experience in an industry setting.
At ShapeTX, we hold ourselves to a higher standard. The ideal candidate must align with the core values of the ShapeTX team:
- Excellence: You set high expectations for yourself and produce quality data that leads to actionable information. You constantly seek to improve yourself and are eager to step outside your comfort zone and take on challenging projects.
- Creativity: You are not constrained by the conventional way of doing things. You understand the problems and challenges that are faced and work hard to find innovative solutions.
- Trust: You understand your role and the role of your fellow team members. You have a history of building trusting relationships with colleagues and are viewed as highly reliable.
- Communication: You clearly convey scientific ideas and strategy through conversation and in writing. You listen intently and seek to understand the ideas of team members.
- Passion: You bring energy and excitement to your work and are persistent and relentless in the pursuit of your goals.
- Selflessness: You constantly seek what is best for ShapeTx. We support each other and excel as a team.