Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing breakthrough gene therapy technologies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. ShapeTX gene therapy platform comprises RNAskip™, RNAfix™, and RNAswap™ payload technologies, next-generation tissue-specific AAVid™ delivery technology, and SquareBio, a solution to scalable gene therapy manufacturing based on industrialization of human stable cell lines. At the core of these technologies reside ShapeTX AI analytic platform, where data drives decisions in building technology today to enable gene therapies of tomorrow. ShapeTX is committed to data-driven scientific advancement, passionate people, and a mission of providing life-long cures to patients. Shape Life!
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a passionate, detail-oriented, and highly motivated Data Engineer to join our fast-growing Analytics and Informatics department. The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to help establish and maintain a cloud-based infrastructure for scientific data collection, transformation, integration, and analysis for internally and externally generated data. The individual will interface with experimental and computational biologists to design and implement innovative technologies and systems for data management, further enabling the discovery and development of the next generation of gene therapies for treating serious human diseases.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Build and implement tools to integrate disparate data sources (e.g. lab instrumentation, next-generation sequencing, internal and external data) and optimize ETL and data flows.
- Architect end-to-end data flow from data entry to scientific applications to downstream insights and predictive analytics, including cross-platform search functionality and visualization capabilities.
- Partner closely with data analysts to deliver impactful analyses in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Informatics, Information Systems, or equivalent experience in relevant field or discipline.
- Minimum of 4+ years of working experience as a Data Engineer w/ Bachelor’s and/or 1+ years working experience with Master’s. Previous experience in the biotechnology or life science research sector a plus.
Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of database systems, data APIs, ETL tools and proficiency in a scripting language like Python or R; familiarity with DevOps foundation for software development a plus (e.g. infrastructure as code, source control systems).
- Previous experience with cloud-based software, such as electronic laboratory notebooks, laboratory information management solutions, and connecting data to cloud-based high performance processing and analysis pipelines preferred.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation systems, experimental workflow development, high throughput screening, or next-generation sequencing data management is a plus.
- Experience with the processing, analysis and visualization of assay data is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize demand and work, based on departmental and business goals and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and identify root causes independently
- Collaborative team player with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and implement new processes, systems and technology with appropriate levels of documentation and knowledge capture
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Takes ownership and possesses a continuous learning attitude
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic start-up environment
If the notion of applying thoughtful, effective, and efficient data engineering towards creating an end-to-end gene therapy solution for millions suffering worldwide from rare genetic disorders motivates you like it does us, we’re very excited to have you join us!