Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing breakthrough gene therapy technologies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. ShapeTX gene therapy platform comprises RNAskip™, RNAfix™, and RNAswap™ payload technologies, next-generation tissue-specific AAVid™ delivery technology, and SquareBio, a solution to scalable gene therapy manufacturing based on industrialization of human stable cell lines. At the core of these technologies reside ShapeTX AI analytic platform, where data drives decisions in building technology today to enable gene therapies of tomorrow. ShapeTX is committed to data-driven scientific advancement, passionate people, and a mission of providing life-long cures to patients. Shape Life!
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The ShapeTX Legal Team is seeking an experienced, highly motivated individual for the role of Corporate Counsel. Reporting directly to the Head of Legal, you will be working with scientists that are developing cutting edge gene editing technology, and with the Operations, HR, IT, Finance and Legal teams to support ShapeTX business needs. ShapeTX is a rapidly growing organization and you will have the opportunity to provide tremendous impact.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Oversee securities law and corporate law compliance activities, including with respect to venture capital fundraising transactions and other equity financings.
- Assist HR and Finance teams with respect to equity award matters.
- Assist the Head of Legal in preparing supporting materials for the Board and its Committees, such as policies, plan documents, Board and Committee resolutions and consents, and associated slides.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of contracts to support the company’s business operations. Contracts may pertain to confidentiality, materials transfer, services, personnel, software, real estate, privacy and more.
- Advise business on the need for more complex contracts, such as licensing or collaboration agreements, and work to establish such agreements with outside counsel assistance (where necessary). Work with business partners to implement such agreements.
- Oversee Shape’s contract management system
- Develop and maintain contract training materials and provide training to all contracting stakeholders.
- Draft and review potential future public company filings
- Advise on employment related matters in partnership with the HR team and outside employment counsel
- Advise on federal, state, and international laws and regulations including global privacy (GDPR), FCPA and anti-bribery with support from outside counsel.
- Collaborate with IT and outside counsel to provide legal guidance on data privacy, cybersecurity, and regulatory requirements in support of implementation and compliance with company policies.
- J.D. from a U.S. accredited law school and admitted to practice in at least one state (admission to Washington, California, or Massachusetts strongly preferred)
- 5+ years of experience (3+ years at a top law firm) handling U.S. corporate governance and securities matters, including public company representation
- 5+ years of professional experience as an attorney (preferably including some experience as in-house counsel at a biotechnology company) drafting and negotiating a wide variety of corporate and commercial contracts
Skills and Experience:
- Strong drafting skills and attention to detail
- Experience working with both private companies and publicly traded companies
- Record of success in innovating and creating business value, fostering teamwork and collaboration with other teams, and influencing and resolving conflict
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction
- Excellent judgment, pragmatism, and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize projects and meet rapid deadlines
- Proven record as an adaptive and results-oriented performer, which includes balancing competing priorities, working effectively both independently and cross-functional teams, and managing external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators
- Ability to demonstrate the ShapeTX’ core values of Excellence, Trust, Creativity, Communication, Passion, and Selflessness