Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing next-generation RNA-targeted therapies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. The ShapeTX technology platform includes RNAskip™, a proprietary suppressor tRNA technology that enables premature stop codon readthrough; RNAfixTM, a precision RNA editing technology using endogenous Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA (ADAR); and AAVidTM, a next-generation engineered adeno-associated virus (AAV) platform producing highly specific, tissue-tropic AAVs. The power of the ShapeTX platforms resides in redirecting the cellular machinery already present in our cells, thereby bypassing the risks of immunogenicity and DNA damage seen with other contemporary editing technologies.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases. Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong passion for learning to join the Research team as Laboratory Animal Technician, Disease Biology. In this role, the successful candidate will partner with the in vivo pharmacology team to provide support for in vivo studies.
This role will include basic laboratory and mouse colony management responsibilities and requires a high level of organization and capacity to coordinate multiple experiments. Under minimal supervision, he/she will provide skilled care and handling of laboratory animals in a safe and sanitary manner. Primary working areas include standard housing areas as well as specialized areas including, but not limited to, surgical and behavioral assay procedure rooms, bio-hazardous areas, and animal colonies requiring specialized procedures. The candidate will ensure that activities performed are in compliance with standards set forth by NIH and USDA as well as the IACUC and Institutional SOP.
An ideal candidate will have broad in vivo colony management and mouse health monitoring experience, a collaborative spirit and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead colony management activities, including breeding, weaning, animal identification (ear-tagging or alternative ID methods), and maintaining accurate colony populations in colony management software.
- Perform genotyping assays which may entail some basic PCR protocols, running samples on a gel, and correctly interpreting results.
- Perform routine procedures and injections (IV, IM, IP, SC) in mice, monitor animal health, and assist with blood sampling and/or tissue collection
- Assist with phenotype scoring and behavioral assays.
- Assist with and/or perform specialized procedures, such as intracranial ventricular injections
- Perform pre- and post-surgical activities, including cleaning and sterilization of surgical equipment, aliquoting reagents, performing post-op health checks, etc.
- Maintain a detailed electronic laboratory notebook, controlled substances log, and sample inventory database, as needed.
- Assist in lab organization, sample inventory management, and supply ordering.
- High school diploma or equivalent and two years of relevant animal care experience plus AALAS certification (ALAT, LAT or LATG) or five years relevant animal care experience.
- Ability to work directly with mice and willingness to participate in Occupational Health Program, as required for facility entry.
- Ability to work part-time on weekends or holidays, as needed.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Skill in handling, restraint, identification and sexing of laboratory mice.
- Experience with multiple cell/drug delivery routes (IV, IP, SC, and PO).
- Expertise working with a variety of in vivo animal models; genetic & neurological disease models a plus.
- A high degree of attention to detail and concern for animal well-being.
- Ability to troubleshoot and think analytically.
- Strong work ethic and a collaborative team player.
- Good interpersonal skills and effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Skill in performing basic arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to multitask and support multiple projects simultaneously.
Please include a cover letter with your application.