Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing next-generation RNA-targeted therapies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. The ShapeTX technology platform includes RNAskip™, a proprietary suppressor tRNA technology that enables premature stop codon readthrough; RNAfixTM, a precision RNA editing technology using endogenous Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA (ADAR); and AAVidTM, a next-generation engineered adeno-associated virus (AAV) platform producing highly specific, tissue-tropic AAVs. The power of the ShapeTX platforms resides in redirecting the cellular machinery already present in our cells, thereby bypassing the risks of immunogenicity and DNA damage seen with other contemporary editing technologies.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases. Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a Scientist / Senior Scientist with a strong background in molecular biology and high throughput screening methods to join our Technology Development team in Cambridge, MA. In this position, the successful candidate will build, optimize, and execute high throughput screening methods to support the discovery and engineering of molecules that can promote targeted recoding of mRNA. The ideal candidate will have broad expertise in high throughput screening methods (e.g. SELEX, phage display), molecular and cell biology, next-generation sequencing, and RNA biology. This position will support the broader goal of combining state of the art experimental and computational approaches to shape the future of genetic medicine. Creativity, collaboration, and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment are essential.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, optimize, and execute high throughput screening approaches to discover and engineer guide RNAs
- Lead screening efforts to identify lead designs to targets of interest.
- Work together with the disease biology team to further optimize lead designs and screening methods
- Collaborate with the data science team to harmonize experimental and computational workflows.
- Assess new technology and methods to support guide RNA design
- Mentor and train junior team members
- Summarize data and results in written reports and in formal presentations to the Technology Development team and the senior leadership team
- Maintain a detailed electronic laboratory notebook
- PhD in molecular biology or a related discipline with 3+ years of post-degree experience in an academic or industry laboratory setting.
- BS or MS in molecular biology or a related discipline with 10+ years of experience in an industry laboratory setting.
Skills and Experience:
- Highly skilled in molecular biology
- Experience with next-generation sequencing methods and familiarity with computational approaches to analyze NGS data
- Experience with high-throughput screening methods such as SELEX, ribosomal display, or yeast surface display
- Experience with stable cell line engineering.
- Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Ability to troubleshoot, think analytically, and provide creative and novel solutions.
- Strong work ethic and a collaborative, team player
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to mentor and train junior members of the team
- Effective communication, both written and orally