Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTX) is a development-stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next-generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting/modification of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and engineered adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTX is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage and high risk of immunogenicity, which limit in vivo application as gene therapy approaches. ShapeTX’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency and safety.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated and well-organized Laboratory Manager to join the Operations Team, reporting to the Head of Operations. This person will provide full time management of our R&D and Process & Product Development (P&PD) laboratory environments. Successful candidates will have hands on, life science research experience and a solid understanding of the activities, processes, and policies necessary for efficient and compliant laboratory operations.
The primary responsibilities of the Laboratory Manager are to keep the day-to-day laboratory operations running smoothly and efficiently, and to support future growth and lab operation development plans at ShapeTX. You will work closely and partner with Research and P&PD staff and leadership. Personal drive and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment are essential.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Laboratory Organization & Operation:
- Organize and maintain lab space and resources, including organizing and allocating freezer/refrigerator/liquid nitrogen space, organizing and stocking common consumables/reagents/lab supplies, and tracking inventory.
- Ensure supply inventory is adequate and act as primary resource for purchasing and managing vendor relationships, and for technical inquiries.
- Communicate with lab-based staff regarding logistical and administrative activities and issues in the lab.
- Serve as lab emergency contact and ensure adherence of safety and lab procedures among all lab personnel.
- Support lab space planning for staff and equipment, including the setup of lab work areas and stations for new personnel.
- Develop, implement and maintain laboratory guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting.
Inventory Ordering & Management:
- Manage incoming supply chain by ordering general lab supplies to maintain appropriate inventory level thresholds and to monitor and track supply inventory.
- Set up and maintain inventories of supplies and reagents that are shared across different projects in the lab.
- Work with vendors to fulfill ordering needs to maintain the lab inventory and supplies.
- Receive, coordinate and distribute incoming packages, including storing of packages at appropriate temperature and notifying lab staff of their received goods or deliveries.
- Manage logistics for shipping and receiving of research samples and materials, including proper packaging of materials for transport, drafting of shipping documentation, and coordinating shipping.
- Manage pipette inventory, service calibrations, and ordering pipettes for new employees.
Equipment Maintenance & Operation:
- Responsible for all instrument maintenance and coordinating user trainings with respective internal lab staff and external field service representatives.
- Manage installation of new equipment, tracking and coordinating maintenance, calibration and service repairs.
- Coordinate and work with instrument “superusers” to ensure all equipment is fully functional.
- Support the maintenance of warranty fulfillments, service needs and records, and contracts.
- Organize and maintain scalable IT setups for instruments, data storage and other digital space organization based on growth of data generation and storage needs.
- Collaborate and work cross functionally with other departments to ensure laboratory operations and activities are properly supported and maintained.
- Attend internal scientific meetings to stay closely connected to ongoing developments in order to anticipate, implement, and provide necessary support and changes in laboratory operations.
- Serve on the EH&S Committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, chemistry or related life sciences discipline.
- 3-5 years of post-degree laboratory experience in academic, biotechnology and/or biopharmaceutical industries. Startup industry experience preferred.
- 2+ years of laboratory management experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills with Macintosh and PC operating systems.
- Must have the ability to lift 30 lbs and push/pull 100 lbs.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with and knowledge of standard molecular and cellular biology, cell culture, protein purification, and safety and laboratory procedures.
- Familiarity with a wide range of laboratory consumables, instruments, and equipment used in the biological sciences.
- Highly flexible, creative, technically-minded and extremely organized.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work collaboratively.
- Self-motivated to solve problems and improve processes.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication.
- Dependable, strong work ethic and able to go above and beyond.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced start up environment.