Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTX) is a development-stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next-generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting/modification of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and engineered adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTX is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage, high risk of immunogenicity and therefore low in vivo applicability as effective gene therapy approaches. ShapeTx’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a fast working and team-spirited person to join our team as Data Scientist / Senior Data Scientist, reporting to the Head of Analytics and Informatics. In this role, you will be responsible for a diverse and critical set of bioinformatic needs to support ShapeTX’s novel science. You will work closely with ShapeTX’s bench scientists and leadership in the planning, execution and presentation of high throughput studies designed to advance ShapeTX’s therapeutic discovery pipeline. To achieve this you will be utilizing in-house and public genomics datasets of many types and constructing new algorithms and workflows to generate necessary insights.
The ideal candidate will bring diverse expertise across data sciences, statistics and information technologies; deep experience in next-generation sequencing analysis including novel pipeline construction; familiarity with the major toolsets of computational genomic biology such as genome annotation databases, multiple sequence alignment tools, splicing and antigen prediction software; and an understanding of human disease genetics. By developing and implementing informatic analyses, the successful candidate will be a critical contributor to ShapeTX’s discovery pipeline. A collaborative spirit and rigorous analytical approach are essential. You will also be expected to exemplify and cultivate ShapeTX’s values and culture. This is an excellent opportunity to join a high-growth startup and help establish the Analytics and Informatics Department, with a broad and immediate impact across the organization.
Title and compensation commensurate with level of experience.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and perform analytical and statistical methods to interrogate large scale biological datasets in the advancement of ShapeTx’s RNA editing-based therapeutic technology.
- Work side by side with ShapeTx’s bench scientists and leadership to develop strategies for answering key RNA editing-based scientific questions
- Apply genomics and analytics to support indication assessments in oncologic, metabolic, rare diseases, and neurologic therapeutic areas
- Represent ShapeTx to the external scientific community via presentations, publications, etc.
- PhD in genetics, genomics, biomedical engineering, computer science and technology or related life science discipline
- 3+ years of experience in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry preferred. Postdoctoral candidates with excellent publication records will also be considered.
Skills and Experience:
- High degree of bioinformatic coding skills (especially Python)
- Deep experience generating and running novel NGS analysis pipelines (including experience with multiplex barcoded libraries, mutational and error frequency analyses, etc.)
- Deep experience with computational genomics tools (e.g. BAMtools, genome annotation tracks, splicing prediction tools, multiple sequence alignments, conservation prediction, RNA structure prediction, protein structure prediction)
- Familiarity with RNA biology: splicing, RNA editing, transcription and translation
- Experience with RNA or protein structure-based engineering
- Experience with nanopore-based sequencing data
- Expertise in data science, clinical statistics, machine learning, genetics, genomics, cellular biology, cellular therapy, drug candidate discovery and development
- Proven success and strong track record in computational biology and genomics, as demonstrated through high quality peer-reviewed publications and/or asset creation
- Ability to operate and thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and ability to function in a complex and ambiguous environment
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to dive into technical details and discussions on active research programs